2015 Fireblade ABS Issues

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Naz, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Naz

Naz Active Member

Hello All,

New to the forum but been following for a while.

Has anyone managed to resolve the ABS issue with the blades without getting rid of their bike or the ABS system?

I have had all the same BS from Honda as everyone else and same braking issues as described by everyone on the boards. I thought someone just may have a success story to tell by now, or maybe that's wishful thinking!

I have a 2015 Black Blade from new, bought in July 2016, problems started around the 500 mile mark, Honda lie and state no one has reported it, some dealers say no such problem, some say that's the way they are and some say your braking wrong!

I have sent various links and the you tube video clip put up by one of the members to the program watchdog hoping they might pick up the story but no response from them.

2. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

Hi Naz, really tricky issue. I believe some guys on this forum have managed to disconnect ABS system - but your doing it with the risk that it might be an insurance issue if anything were to happen.

Insurance companies look for any get out clause and if they found out you'd disconnected the ABS system on an ABS Blade they might look to wriggle out on a claim. Just a thought for you.

I was in the same boat about 6 months ago - I wanted a ABS blade due to the added control element. But having read articles about it and the random nature of how it happens I went with a non ABS blade in the end.

What have you experienced to date? how many times?

3. Naz

Naz Active Member

Thanks for your response, I've had two close calls where the breaks have failed at around 15- 20mph in slow traffic, bike is brilliant minus the brakes! It's at Honda Vertu Nottingham now getting breaks bled, even though I argued with them that it shouldn't need it at such low mileage, they said they will do as a good will gesture, they know the problem can't be resolved they just want to show they have done everything to check the brakes. So far it seems like a losing battle to get Honda to admit they've messed up.

4. tazmania_1981

tazmania_1981 Active Member

i have a blade 2015 with nearly 10.000 miles done loads of road miles spirited rides and track days touring
    i have got problem with older generation of abs but not the new one i am really suprised actually

what is your problem when u say brakes failed what is actually happening

5. poppy72

poppy72 Active Member

I agree thought the problem was sorted from the 14 blade?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. Naz

Naz Active Member

Same problems as with previous discussions, lever travels to handle bar at slow speeds 15-20 mph, bike is not braking, twice almost went in back of a car.

I bought the bike in July this year and like a fool trusted the salesman when I asked if the abs problem which had been complained about on the 2012 models had been resolved, the salesman obviously said no problems with this one! All problems have been fixed with these updated ones!

I think the main issue is that the abs system is near to the exhaust others have explained in greater detail, but as the brake fluid heats up it loses its density and thus pressure in the system and can create air bubbles. If you read other posts some have explained it better and greater detail.

I had a 600rr 2012 and the latest 2013 models both had abs and they were brilliant but this blade, well lost all trust in the braking system and to make matters worse the Honda complaints system is completely useless. I'm going to argue as much as I can and try and get the dealer to take the bike back, I've had enough accidents in my time and don't need another one

7. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Naz, obviously every case is different, but I found those that have total brake failure that is not the collapsing over very slow speeds like filtering, but full at speed back to the bar, which is what I had on a 2010, despite a willing dealer and parts thrown at it was never resolved.

As the bike is only 2-3 months old, you should have, which sounds like you have, reported the issue to your dealer, they need the opportunity to attempt to fix the issue, as it is a serious safety issue, write a letter of rejection of the bike to the dealer, if it is financed advise the finance compny of the issues in writing telling them you want them to support rejection of the bike as well as your contract will be with them at this point.

If you are not sure how to go about this, if you have legal advice on any policy, talk to them or the citizens advice bureau, don't delay this, get the rejection letter organised, you only have 6 months from purchase where your legal rights are at their strongest and it focuses minds a lot more.

To answer your question, no I ended up trading mine whilst I was still alive for a non abs.

8. Naz

Naz Active Member

Thanks Kent Blade,

I will be picking the bike up this week and once I have it back, I will start this process. I was never aware that such action could be taken. Your advice has to be the best I have seen in order to deal with this issue. Maybe if more people who bought the bikes new had taken this course of action, the dealers may have taken a different approach when dealing with customers who bought blades.

Spoke to a mechanic at Dobles who stated that Honda have provided all dealers with a script which they must read to people buying blades, stating that the brake lever may travel further at low speeds around 6mph as the braking system reverts to non abs. Honda are doing what they can to cover themselves at the point of sale, so they can refuse to refund any sale as they will be able to claim they had advised the purchaser of the issue.

9. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Issue won't be resolved until the new blade comes out guys. It's still the same system thats been out since 2010 barring a few weeks which still haven't solved the problem.

10. Naz

Naz Active Member

I hoping to get rid on this blade and await the release of the new one which according to the dealer will be in Feb, but that's dependant on price!

11. Singh1000RR

Rumour has it the new blade will have a BUSCH ABS system not a Honda developed one. Tried and trusted by all accounts.

12. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Yup Bosch system which is about 6kg lighter also, and without these problems

13. Naz

Naz Active Member

Problem is with any new bike that has been completely overhauled with new components, problems may arise and if or when they do, how will Honda respond? if we are to go by the way Honda handled the crankshaft issue with the older blades and then the abs issue, well lets say its going to be another long drawn out saga.

But lets think positive, New Blade hopefully will be the new benchmark to beat.

14. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Let's face it folks Honda shat the bed and then blamed the dog over this abs issue!!! :rolleyes:

The system was a flawed design but with them only being fitted in limited numbers and to only two models in the whole Honda bike line up(raises the question if it was a super revelation like it was being pushed then why only fit it to two models!)
    The bean counters I would hazard a guess said sod the customers it's cheaper to let em sue us that is of course if they are still alive to even do so! :eek:

15. Naz

Naz Active Member

Response I got from Honda wankers today, didn't mention the main f'ing issue that the lever went straight back to the handlebar,

To piss me off even more I had Honda sales call me to ask if I'm happy with my purchase and sales team who delt with me

Thank you for contacting Honda (UK).

I am writing to disclose Honda (UK)'s position in reference to your case regarding your Honda Fireblade.

We have spoken to the dealership and also to our Technical Department about the issues that you have raised with the braking and the speedo clock.

In regards to the brakes, the dealership have confirmed that they have not identified any faults with the motorcycle. Within any issues in relation to the ABS on the Honda Fireblade models, the procedure has been to bleed the brakes and so, in order to follow all necessary procedure, Honda (UK) authorised a brake bleed. Upon authorising a brake bleed, we did advise the dealership that it would be unlikely to have an affect due to the fact that the brakes will feel slightly different on slower speeds that faster speedsdue to the design of the bike and this is not a fault.

In relation to the speedo clocks, to confirm a fault the motorcycle would need to be tested against another model to see if any variances occur. The dealership have tested your motorcycle against another Fireblade and have found the speedo clocks to report the same figures and they can replicate or identify no fault.

Currently Honda (UK) and the dealership can find no outstanding fault with your motorcycle and therefore, would be unable to perform any further work on the motorcycle at this time. Therefore, Honda (UK) Customer Relations would be unable to progress your case any further.

If you wished to progress your case further we would advise you to seek independent advice. If you feel you would like to get independent advice, Honda (UK) together with many other manufacturers subscribe to the MCIA as an additional service to our customers. The MCIA is an independent entity and operate to ensure that the appropriate codes of practice are followed. You can contact the MCIA to discuss your situation and they will offer independent advice to you.

For more details on the service the MCIA provide, please visit their website, alternatively you can call them on 024 7640 8000.

Kind Regards,
    Anna Kingman

Customer Relations
    Customer & Aftersales
    Honda (UK)

Telephone: 0845 200 8000

16. Naz

Naz Active Member

wI'll be contacting the MCIA tomorrow and see what they know about this issue as surely they must be aware of the issue

But have started to complete a letter of rejection of goods which Kent Blade kindly advised me to do, Consumer Rights, I think we can all do with learning a bit more about them. Honda you've :mad: me off, I don't know if I'm going to be able to pick my bike up without :mad: the mechanics head off.

17. Singh1000RR

You do that. Its the only way to progress it as far as you can.

If you need someone to "test ride" it - I'll happily volunteer my services!! ;)

18. Naz

Naz Active Member

o_Oo_OHas anyone ever contacted the MCIA? Surely someone has if they have complained about this issue? Can't see myself getting very far as they clearly state they look after the interests of their members interests.

Here's the introduction from their page-

Welcome to the MCIA Website
    The Motorcycle Industry Association (MCIA) has looked after the interests of the motorcycle industry for over 100 years. Our members are manufacturers and importers of powered two wheelers and the suppliers of associated goods and services in the UK.

Our objectives are to promote, protect and expand the motorcycle industry for the benefit of our members.

19. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

I could be wrong but going by the last line you posted I don't think they have your best interests as a customer in mind! :eek:

20. Naz

Naz Active Member

And that's why I believe this issue has allways been brushed under the carpet, I've just messaged two other forum members who logged all their issues and built up a log of everyone's issues I asked them to update the forum to see if they ever got anywhere, doubt they did but but would be interesting to see how far they took it :confused: