Stator Problem ? confused.com !!

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by lockandkey, Feb 16, 2015.

1. lockandkey

lockandkey New Member

Ive dignosed a fault back to the stator and the way i see it i have 3 options:-

1) Replace Stator with Ebay Purchase £40-£90 Probably China Replica
    2) Recondition with Westcountry Windings £126-£140
    3) Local garage with updated OEM fitted around £450

Option 2 is my favoured as i am assuming the heat resistent sprays they use etc will be of a higher quality. Even the copper maybe.

Just wondering if anyone has used them or if it makes no difference due to the design flaw on the RR5.

Help would be appreciated.
    Honda quoted direct for parts £650 !!!

2. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Does the 05 not need an updated flywheel revision to go along with the stator wheel?

I thought the flywheel was the main cause of issue due to not enough room or clearance on original, I am sure I have read folks getting there stator reconed without updated flywheel and stator failed again pretty soon after.

3. lockandkey

lockandkey New Member

Yep you are right, but the current one has lasted some £15k. So why does the replacement die soon after, my logic would put it down to quality.

4. Iain

Iain Active Member

Mine went about 30k miles, the West Country rewind only lasted 5k, by which time I found out about the Honda extended warranty, so they replaced it in 2009, it was still OK at 55k when I sold it in 2012.

It really does depend if you are keeping the bike.

5. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

And the way I see it. ( from someone who hates spending unnessary money) is to buy the upgraded parts....end of !!

I would,nt even entertain getting the OE rewound due to it happening again ( there's loads of peeps that have sailed down this river......and have fallen foul of the waterfall at the end )

If I was buying a 04/5 bike ,the first question I would be asking is...has it got the upgrade or not ? So when you do decide to sell at least you can say " yes mate it has"

6. lockandkey

lockandkey New Member

Looks like this is one of those occassions where i have to grin and bear the cost. Thanks guys option 3 seems to be the sensible one.

7. bandit_287

bandit_287 Active Member

I've been through three stators, original lasted 7k, replaced with another, that lasted 5k, had that rewound by WCW, that lasted about another 5k until I found out about the upgraded OEM stator and flywheel- replaced both now with the updated and it's been fine since. Bikes now done 25k. If you just replace the stator it WILL fail again on you.

8. Stumoores

Stumoores New Member

+1 rotor and stator OEM. BTW I whinged at honda UK all over Twitter and got both from Honda Chester for £370.

• Like Like x 2