10,000 miles up

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by sp1n99, Dec 12, 2015.

1. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

I've just clocked up 10,000 miles.

No not on two wheels but on two feet.
    When I gave up work 31/2 years ago I needed to find some sort of exercise to take over from the active work life I I had for the whole of my working life. I tried to up my running mileage but this caused a few injury problems and it was while I was recovering from one of these that I started walking in earnest.
    Since then I walk whenever I can and have walked an average of about 7 miles a day. image.png

The mileage is accurate, I've checked against a gps, but I think the calorie count is a bit out or I need to eat more cake.
    Shoes of choice are Haglofs Crag gt or The North Face Hedgehogs

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Put the numbers through an average calculator and it came up with 3.87 mph for the 10,000 miles - that is pretty good I reckon' especially recovering from a running injury.

Anyway what was the running injury - hamstring, lower back ?

3. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Both in quick succession. I went from a ten miler once a week to ten to fifteen miles three times a week and paid the price.

4. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Crickey ! - But I can sympathise - it is easy to get carried away, especially if you are a bit competitive, and running gets a bit compulsive, and takes over your free time.

Walking the cliff paths is great low stress training, especially if there are a few steps involved. Used to do that with a head torch in the winter, in the wind and rain if needs be - It took me two years training to get my marathon time down to 3:01 ! (in 2007).

5. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Wow! Good time.
    I'm just a plodder with a best time of 1.27 for a half marathon. Mind you it was the Wolverhampton marathon/half marathon and I started alongside a certain Mr J Saville. I wondered why I ran so well!