2nd midlife crisis

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Freedom of choice, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Hi Everyone.

Having returned to biking at the end April this year after a five year enforced break, ex wife’s divorce lawyer put paid to all my money, toys and most of my hair. I am back doing what I love. If you have to explain to anyone what you miss about riding a bike, I wouldn’t bother as they will never understand! Having spent the last two summers trying to convincing my new partner that I should buy another bike she finally gave in, so I am back.

I have owned and ridden many bikes over the years and non better than the blade. So it was the natural choice. Test ride done, deal almost done with local dealer, then wham, insurance quotes of the best part of a grand, for a low mileage weekend only toy! I am 49, a clean licence, live in the backwater of the fens, good job, two kids everything that you would assume an insurance company would prefer however it seems no claims don’t amount to anything anymore since I haven’t owned a bike for five years so back to zero. Not being put off I lowered my expectations, test rode and then purchased a brand new 2011 CBR600F in black upgraded before delivery with R&G tail tidy crash bungs, rear seat cowl, under tray and rear hugger. Bike looks fantastic and rides like a dream. But what a mistake! Its not a blade is it!.

After three months I have decided to bit the bullet, pay the insurance and get a new ABS blade, the reasoning being quite simple – You only have one life, so make the most of it.

I will get to the point, Thanks guys and girls, reading the past forums have been very interesting especially the issue surrounding the ABS system which I would never have know about. Which interestingly when mentioned to a dealer they denied knowing anything about it.

I am also surprised that having asked my local dealer who supplied the 600 to put together a deal for a new abs blade haven’t even bothered to come back to me and a second dealer who I approached made a PX offer that would make a masked highway man proud.

Thanks again everyone for your knowledge and advice.

2. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Hi FOC, great first post. Got any pix and where in the Esat are ya?

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

welcome to the forum

BUT almost 1k on insurance. Do you live in London by the way? insurance for my new blade is Unde £600 for 5 years NCB, not accidents, clean licence and only riding 5 years. Seems rather steep

But on the plus side the blade rocks

4. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

That does seem heavy for insurance

I'm 29 and pay less than £500 with mce.

Welcome to the site

5. Freedom of choice

Here you go, sorry about registration, just taking the advice on another post, hope you like, going to chase local dealer up today and see what his px offer will be against the blade i mentioned.

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

very nice indeed

7. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Im 28 and paying 240 fully comp with 6 years no claims.... shop around mate.. i was getting quotes for 500 and found 240 with MCE 2 days of searching later

8. Freedom of choice

Slight mistake in the first post, the crash bungs are in a box at the dealers, they didnt arrive in time so going to be fitted at first service (rather them drill the holes in the wrong place then me. I always seem to measure twice, drill once and stillscrew it up) assuming i still have the bike by then.

I have searched the web and spoken to a few insurance co's. Problem seem to be the no longer valid no claims so its full fat prices, best so far is from Carol Nash (who insure the 600) still looking and hopefully someone will come up trumps.

9. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Shop around mate... Im 28 with 6 years no claims and was getting quotes for 600 and after 3 days of searching and filling in aplication forms i found fully comp cover for 240 with MCE

10. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

I'm with MCE too... It seems they are coming out with the best prices for the Blade by a long way?!?

I even joined Club MCE and put my name down for the money cant buy perks at the BSB. Had a phone call from them to say I had bagged a lap in the pace car at Oulton Park. Nissan Skyline! Awesome! Fast as fook! :)

11. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Nice bike even for a 600, keep it for a season then exchange it during the winter when the dealers are desparate for a sale? My local Honda at Grantham seam to treat their customers ok, give them a try.

Have to ask "Second mid life" what was the first???? I tried a TR7 then ended back on a bike after 20years, only one mid life but lasted a while?

12. Freedom of choice

I have called MCE and explained the issue, they are looking into it and said they would come back to me, we will see, thanks for the tip guys.
    If i cant get a realistic quote I will do as you say and keep the 600 till next spring. who knows the new blade might be out by then ?

What was the first midlife crisis... lol.....having an affair and telling the now ex wife. hense the slogan on the bottom of my number plate.

13. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

LOL... where did you get that plate made up!? I got told off by the rozzers for not having the BS kite mark on my plate!

14. fisher

fisher Active Member

Welcome back to biking mate, I would hone your skills on the 600 for a few months/year, then move up to a litre bike when you have gained a bit more expieraince, its quite a jump from a 600, and too be honest when I had mine it was great fun ragging the hell out of it everywhere

15. Freedom of choice

not sure the crisis was the affair or telling her about it, either way both were a big mistake.

Plate was from back to MCN, something like "designaplate.com" or something like that. its 8x6 instead of the legal 9x7. I did have a 6x5 once but got pulled for it, this size seems not to get noticed, so far anyway !

16. chelseaboy

chelseaboy Active Member

Does Seem a bit steep that quote, i went on go compare, age 45 7 years ncb mines £190 fully comp with motorcycle direct

17. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Definitely shop around mate. There are good deals I pay £360 fully comp for the Blade, a heavily modified SP2 and a ZX6

18. Freedom of choice

Thanks everyone, MCE called back offered 495 inc passenger, legal, recovery and helmet and leathers thats 400 less than before. best they can do, take it or leave it. will try other but thats not a bad offer considering a cant use the 5 year ago no claims. Just got the dealer to sort out now. if i dont get an answer from them by the end of the week they can whistle for it. I will deal elsewhere. cant understand it they were all over the 600 business like a rash.

19. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Also found this with MCE. who I am with and the best price by far

20. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

result. great to hear you got a much better price