4 Eye help needed re glasses

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Right people anyone help me out or point me in the right direction.

After my op last Friday I am getting better and better sight in my right eye. Currently better than my Left eye

I intend for now to go to Boots tomorrow and try on some reading glasses, as my right eye does not need distance glasses anymore. which is great as I can see

But my left eye is not great but I can't see distance well without glasses and close up is fine.

So 1 eye fighting against another. As I may need a op in a few months there is no point spending money on a eye test as it will change or spending money on reading glasses.

So other than my suggestion can anyone come up with a better idea/. other than buy 2 glasses and cutting them in half. 1 long distance and 1 short lol

2. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Could you not just get the optitions to make up the correct prescription that your eyes need in the cheapest frames that you like? Boots frames start from £25

Sorry should really learn to read the whole post instead of picking out snippets before posting!

Cheapest option may be two off the shelve sets of reading glasses, two minutes with a set of snips and a tube of superglue!

#2 ShinySideUp, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I will need a eye op for the left eye at the start of 2014. even if I use the frame from my existing frame the lens are not that cheap. I only had some £99 oakley made up and the lenses cost me another £200 on top. So even a cheap pair are going to cost me because i have long sight in 1 eye and short in the other at the moment

4. steve b

steve b Active Member

a pirate patch :rolleyes:

im not much help am I

• Like Like x 2
  5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Steve your not lol

6. wurzel

wurzel Active Member

Buy a monacle. And you can pretend to be lord Charles.

#6 wurzel, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Get a pair to suit your left eye and take the right lens out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

I was quoted £300 for varifocal lenses for my Oakleys. They are the best and the most expensive. As said, buy cheap frames , one distance and one for reading. Dunno how much cheap lenses are, but certainly cheaper than Oakley lenses.

9. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I think the cheap frame and pop the left lens sounds good idea as long as I don't look a dick

10. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Eye eye, is there a problem here Sir? [​IMG]

Most cheap off the shelf glasses will have lenses that just pop out, so just buy one of each and swap a lens over, there should be no need for Plasma cutters and Tig Welders for this job.
    I'm sure a local Optician would do the lens swap for £20 or so if ya don't fancy it?

11. biggsjo

biggsjo Active Member

Hi, I am not sure if this is going to be helpful but I have a similar problem but use contact lenses. I have +3.75 in my right eye for reading and +1.75 in my left for distance. I use daily disposables and they are perfect. You don't have to get months of supply as any good optician will give you a small amount of lenses bearing in mind your next op. It may be that you are not allowed lenses but I thought I would share my experience anyway. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Contacts are no good for the short time I need them mainly as I have just had my cataract removed and cannot put anything in my eye for at least 4 weeks. On Anti biotic eye drops for 4 weeks. best bet is as I have just got a few pairs of cheap reading glasses and remvoed the lens. I'm -1.5 in my left and wearing +2.5 in my right so a bit of a bitch getting used to it

13. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Stand by for a shock!

This is a subject I actually have some experience in!

I am severely short sighted in my right eye but have normal vision in my left. I correct it with a single contact lens. Until very recently I supplemented this with reading glasses for the majority of my working day, perched on the end of my nose. I have a new optician, who is also a customer of mine, so when I saw him for the first time he was honest and didn't shy from discussing optics with me. It is what I do, after all. He told me that the natural dominance of which ever eye was best suited for the job in hand would filter out the output from the other. So when I was driving, my good eye was doing almost all the work, with just some sacrificing of my depth perception. My old contact lens was throwing my 'good vision' too far away, so the controls inside the car weren't so clear. He reduced the strength, giving me less good distance viewing through the lens, but the good eye nulls out the shortfall. Apparently this kind of prescription is growing in popularity in the States. It doesn't work for everyone, so he says, but for me it's been great.

• Like Like x 2
  14. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Always great to have a 'Good Eye' for a bargain solution 'Eye' say! [​IMG]

15. sinewave

sinewave God Like

...........................sorry about all the jokes, 'Eye' just can't help it U see! [​IMG]

16. sinewave

sinewave God Like

........................ Eye'll get me coat! [​IMG]

17. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Eye'm sorry OP, Eye'll stop now! [​IMG]

18. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

HAHA love it. currently sat reading the forum with glasses on and just 1 lens lol

19. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Cataracts hey Matt. Had two removed a few years ago , but still need specs.
    What do you call a blind Rudolph? No eye'd dear.! What?