4x4 tyre recomendation needed

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Right my Korean 4x4 is in need of 2 new front tyres.

I use the car daily but don't add mega miles to the car a year. It's 3 years old (had it from 3 months old) and only added 13k to her.

I want something that will last 10K plus. The OE tyres have lasted almost 17k.

I was looking at either All season or Winter tyres and run them all year. But how do Winter tyres last when used all year?

Just looking for some feedback on what might be ideal to get.
    I use the car for general day to day stuff but also towing and Would like it to work well in winter/snow/rain.

2. red5

red5 Well-Known Member

I use General grabber AT on my Discovery, I can't fault them slightly more noise but really sure footed in all conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Well I did some searching and seems Winters will be ok so looking at Nokian WR SUV 3 as they seem to be getting lots of good reviews

4. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Can't comment on 4x4 Tyres but we use Winter tyres on the wifes estate all year round and I know a few of the bigger Courier firms use Winter tyres all year on their vans.

Mileage seems to be about 80% of a Summer Tyre

• Like Like x 1
  5. scooby

scooby Elite Member

exactly same here (although a pathfinder).as long as you keep the pressures up for road use they are spot on and don't effect MPG too much.plus last forever.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

Not a 4 x 4, but I run Vredestain Quatrac 3 all weather tyres on the Focus. They seem fine in all conditions. I get more miles out of them than the previous tyres I used (Goodyear NCT).

7. bob

bob Active Member

Got wintrac extreme on the wife's Subaru and used them all year. No noticeable difference in tyre wear you do notice in the warmer weather that they feel abit squirmy! But its not really a problem in Scotland as we have only had a couple of warm days this year!

8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Great to know you can use them all year with out a problem. Went for Nokian WR SUV 3 after reviews and comment from others who run them

I'm thinking of getting a Set of Works wheels for the 86, running summer tyres on them and Winters on the OE Alloys. problem is in the south west we don't get that bad a winter.

Apart from 2009,10, and a week of 2011 we have not had much Snow since 2000. Well nothing major. but thinking it may be a good excuse to get a nice set for Works wheels for the car anywho

9. AshBlade

AshBlade Riding Goddess

Also General Grabbers on our Disco... Never let us down... :D

10. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Yep, that's what we use on the Merc, spot on and always do very well in Winter Tyre Tests.

It seems they also do a version for SUV/4x4's now!

Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme | the Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

• Like Like x 1