8000 service

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by mpitman, Jan 13, 2012.

1. mpitman

mpitman Active Member

Well i know we are all skint at this time of year but that the service centres are very quiet too so i just thought that i would "big up" my local guy.

8000 mile service on a 2010 fireblade at Farnam Honda £220 inc

8000 mile service on a 2010 fireblade at Hampshire Motorcycles £95 inc

i know that you will say its not a honda centre but the guys did (or seemed to do) a really thorough job, had to guys on it as i was waiting....

In my eyes thats a bargin....

If your local to Portsmouth try them out.The guy used to run the big Yamaha centre near Fratton Park FC.

Hampshire Motorcycle and Quad centre

2. vino

vino New Member

I agree with mpitman. In these times of austerity, there's always a bargain to be had + Honda (Chiswick anyway) are a pain in the arse to deal with.

Just had my 8,000 mile services done by Track Sense in Windlesham, Surrey (they prep race bikes and run Spanish track days as well).

8,000 service (excluding air filter), Full set of braided lines fitted, re-balanced my front wheel + got an MOT for £280 inc.

On a side note, they were also the most competitive people I could find for a set of tyres fitted.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

got mine booked in at JHS in Bristol on the 5th March . Fowlers wants £270FFS, JHS a lot less. OK not a honda dealer but very good and I've used them in the past. plus they are fitting my Bazzaz and dyno run set up on the same day

4. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Just wait for the 16k mile service. A forum member was quoted £560 plus vat by the local Honda dealer the owner has since booked in here where he will be active with his own servcing, shimming and sync the throttle bodies electronically. Most Honda dealers are so much up their own arses that Farnham wanted to debit me £2000 to test ride the blade,needless to say what my answer was . Spoke directly to Dave Hancock who was there about poor customer relations in that which intending customer would have £2000 sitting in a current account, moreso when the booking was made no mention of a 2k deposit.

5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

As soon as the bikes out of warranty I will be doing as much as I can myself

6. vino

vino New Member

JHS, don't they do the dyno work for Fast Bikes Mag?

7. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

and about 5 mins from me.

8. vino

vino New Member

WRT Honda Main Dealers being up their own ass...

July 2011 - Booked my blade in with Chiswick Honda for an interim service, prior to going to Germany on it for a week
    "Hello, Mr. Vines?" "Yes" "We have your bike here" "Yes" "It needs break pads, which would you like?" "Do you have any sintered pads?" "No, we only fit what Honda recommend" "What are the options then" "Only the pads that Honda recommend" "OK, fit those then".

Last week - booking in for an 8,000 mile service
    "Can you fit some braided break lines for me?" "No, we only do what Honda recommends. You could ask the mechanic when you drop the bike off if he wants to" "What are the chances of them doing it?" "Slim, as we wouldn't guarantee it" "OK". "I've just put a new pipercross air filter in, can you knock the cost of the air filter off the cost?" "No, we have fixed servicing prices"

Needless to say I booked it in elsewhere, got the service, break lines and fluid and an MOT for what they were quoting me. Great bikes, crappy service if you want anything other than what they say you can have.

9. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

JT's motorcycles by me are doing a winter offer . also £95.00

10. ray

ray Well-Known Member

Got a letter through from Farnham Honda, Winter Servicing Just £79

Also, they are offering 15% Off Everything in their New Online Store! Until 29th Feb

Just quote voucher code 'FH-15CBR'

11. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

head on down to Loomies on the bike for a brew then mate

12. mpitman

mpitman Active Member

I spoke to Farnham honda and they said thats not a specific service just a winter check up!

Well done all you bargin hunters!

as Remal said ill be doing my own once the warrenty has expired.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mpitman

mpitman Active Member

Yeh thats what i thought, I have spoken to them before and the seemed quite reasonable but not this time.

Does anyone know if the service acually reduces the selling price of the bike cos as far as i can see they are not worth much after 4 years anyway!

Only asking because this may be the only bike ill acually keep in 10 years lol.

14. ray

ray Well-Known Member

I do think you get a poor service for a premium with most dealers, cars & bikes. They just seem to act like it's a conveyer belt with no love in the work done.

Where as with independent garages, they tend to take more care of your vehicle as a lot of their work will be through word of mouth.

Even the little things. I have never seen a dealer take the time to put a little copper slip or grease on any type of bolt before running them back in & tightening them up to the point you need a 10ft breaker bar to get them off again.

15. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I always worry getting work done by main dealers, but, for warranty reasons, you're stuck. I like to have a dialogue with the people who are doing work for me. My own mechanic I've known half my life, was best man at his wedding and rallied with for five years but i refuse to succumb to the mate's rates spiral. I'm happy to pay a fair price without hassling for discounts as long as I'm confident the works being done, and I'd rather it was in his pocket than the same amount being in the pocket of a main dealer and never be confident it's been done.

The trust has to start with being face to face with the workman. Not the totty on reception or the monkey doing the selling.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blade#6

Blade#6 Active Member

....Sorry to dredge up an old thread, not really done the main dealer thing before (mainly becuse my bike have been well lets say, un desireable ha ha ha ) but got a newish blade now but with 12500 on it and reading this worries me, what should I be expecting from a dealer at that mileage ? and are horror stories comkmon at dealers ?