A few exercises

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mattie660, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Sitting at a desk all day can turn you into a bit of a jelly. Although, personally, sitting all day with my legs tucked underneath me, and leaning forward over a desk looking at a computer screen is surprisingly good body posture training for riding a sports bike !

But the muscles need a bit of work, I reckon - and this may seem very lightweight by what some of you get up to but I do a few press-ups leaning over the kitchen table or the kitchen dresser at work - turn round and do some sit-ups against the kitchen dresser as it supports the lower back - also do side sit-ups and back sit ups

Basically replicating the core stability exercises that you would do over a Swiss Ball, but instead using the kitchen dresser. It can be done in the time it takes for a cup of tea to brew, and can be done at work, so you are getting paid for it, and you do not need a gym membership !

Personally I have found it very helpful as I have developed better back strength, and arm and shoulders that help with braking forces - not being such a jelly and thrown off the front of it when hitting the brakes !

Anyway not trying to be strong enough to lift the bike over my head, but personally reckoned I needed to strengthen my back, shoulders and arms a bit to cope with the dynamics of riding a sports bike.

Not sure everyone else feels about these things.

2. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

A few years ago I was really starting to struggle with my lower back... got to the point where I would turn down ride-outs as I didn't think I would be able to last the day!
    I reckon this was down to consciously trying to keep the weight of my arms/hands to improve control, meaning I'm relying on my core muscles... which just weren't up to it.
    For the last 18 months I've gotten in to a regime of leg stretches, planks, and backwards situps every morning. Takes about 20 minutes every morning, but the difference is unbelievable. No aches, cramps, and I'm far more comfortable on the bike.

3. RepsolPaul

RepsolPaul Well-Known Member

All got to be a good idea, all getting older and unfit compared to our younger days.
    Starting to exercise more now, press ups, n sit-ups.
    Keep meaning to start running, but always something to do, either working, working on the house or dad in hospital or out n needs constant care !!!
    If looking at your parents isn't enough motivation to get fit I don't know what is.

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I have to be extremely careful about exercise for psychological reasons.

If I look tired after the coronary that inevitably kills me, I'd be so frigging embarrassed...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Sounds pretty hard core !

Personally a good test is if I can ride the bike comfortably with my weight on only one hand on the bars. Two hands is easy, but if I use only one hand it seems to create a twisting force on my lower back. If I have not got any core strength then I find it really uncomfortable to do.

6. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Well, just take it easy, if you start. It is easy to get carried away and get super-keen, and then end up with an injury after trying too much too soon !

But it is great being outside, rain or shine, night and day. Started in the gym on the machine at first, to save on the embarrassment of being a jelly out in public view !!

In my humble opinion - core stability is essential if you are going to have a go at running, absolutely A1 essential. The lower body, the legs, generate the forward power - and the lower body is attached to the upper body by the spine and a bunch of muscles.

I reckon if it is just left to the spine to take this strain, and the core muscles neglected, then problems with the lower back will probably be more likely.

Haven't done any running for about 5-6 years, but really enjoyed it at the time - somehow good for the head as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

Learning how to switch the glutes back on will alleviate the majority of people's back pain.

I'm happy to go into things further on any aspect of training, but won't if there is no interest.

Anyone in the Whitstable/Canterbury area feel free to stop by my gym for a free session and chat with me, there is cycle parking right outside.

https://www.facebook.com/PrimePerformanceGym/

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  8. Wayne_R

Wayne_R Active Member

Go on then Matt. I'd like to know how to reactivate them. I'm suffering from painful low back pain, and will give some exercises a go.

9. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, Nytol. Quite interesting. Shite office chairs for 9 hours a day has definitely put my glutes into a coma. Please continue.

10. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

I have to head out to the gym in a few moments, but will write something later.

It is a VERY common issue, and when I say very common, I mean almost everyone suffers from it, I was coaching an Elite Ladies Artistic Gymnastics team last year, and assumed that most of them would be OK on this, as they had pretty much been training since they were 4.

But out of the group of around 30, only 2 had correct glute function, the rest were compensating with their lower backs and hamstrings, leaving the biggest and most powerful muscles in the body out of the game.

After 6 weeks, everyone had managed to rectify the issue.

Our bodies are not designed to sit in a chair and when it adapts to doing so, things don't work right.

The good news is that it is fairly easy to correct, and requires no space or equipment to do so, just a small amount of effort and a lot of consistency.

I speak from personal experience on this, as years of training my hamstrings hard and heavy, left my glutes lagging behind, and when I decided to have a quick sprint race, my hamstrings contracted so hard, where they were doing far too much of the work, that my left one ripped itself very badly :(

The most physically painful thing I've ever done.

• Like Like x 3
  11. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

I too would be interested in hearing from a pro. Whilst my back is loads better than it was, if I go for a long run (as in a bit longer than I really should) then I really badly feel it in my hamstrings... the exact symptoms you've described!

So come on then, educate us squidgy old geezers.

12. Dutch Phil

Dutch Phil New Member

Also would be interested in some tips. Had a L4/L5 disc hernia op a while back and would greatful for any help on strength in that area.

Bit far for me to pop in unfortunately

13. Wurzel45

Wurzel45 Active Member

Interested in hearing more on the subject myself, suffered with lower back problems for years but as age creeps up on us things seem harder to put right, knowing that the exercises that you are doing are actually the correct ones, for me, would encourage me more to persevere, knowing what's causing the issue is one thing but knowing how to put it right for most of us is a totally different story. So much advice out there but what Nytol is saying seems total sense to me.

14. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

Sorry for the delay, not had time to break wind since I last came on here.

To the point I've only managed a trip to the bank on my new bike :(

I'll try and shoot a short video later this evening, it will probably be better than a pure written description.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

And of course, the advantage of breaking wind through perfectly formed glutes must be the quality of tune...

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Quite difficult to maintain tone and volume control if your glutes resemble two small mounds of uncooked croissant dough.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

And that's why I need to keep my buns hard and toned. So I never let down my fans.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I believe that Elton John follows a similar ethos.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Clench.....aaaaand. .......release.....
    is the key I believe chaps :D

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Anal expert eh Lozzy?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1