A Marked Man

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by kpone, Oct 24, 2012.

1. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

The UK technical product manager of a very large, Japanese film manufacturer sent me some documentation regarding a new range of large format ink jet media yesterday afternoon. At the bottom of the PDF was the URL of a new website promising creative and technical expertise in preparing digital files for print. A sadly overlooked area of tuition in the field of digital imaging and a bane of my life.

Hooray!, I thought. I'll check this out. I navigated my way to the site, half of which didn't work, and found that they include a free app for download with all these tips incorporated. Even better, I mused. I had to fill in an online form with company details etc. but as we're already a significant customer of this particular company, none of it was information they didn't already have. So I filled in the form and waited for the confirmation email with the redemption code for the app.

Spin forward to 5:00pm as I'm pulling on my coat to leave and the same UK technical product manager phones.

"Is that the Focal Point chief hacker"

"Bodger, perhaps." I reply

"No, seriously." he responds

It turns out that the half working website is actually a half finished website, supposedly locked away deep within the servers of their European HQ. Who had been grilling this poor sod for the last half hour as to why he'd given out details of how to access the servers pre launch of their "new look". It hadn't occurred to anyone at their end that the site was accessible with no more security in place than knowing the URL. It was a complete surprise to them when some oik posted a request for software he seen on a 'secure' site. It made his afternoon when I told him that the URL was printed on the bottom of the paperwork.

So know they're discussing whether I need to be subject to an NDA because of all the wonderous things I may have spied prior to the new Fu.....sorry, new Japanese film manufacturer media launch.

Is that a red spot on the wall over my desk.......?

#1 kpone, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

lol! i was praying you were going to embed the link so we could of given them multiple nightmares!
    Still good to know a knobhead can still get emplyment at a big firm these days!

3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I can hear the black helicopters already just thinking about that. The way I figure, if they hit me with a non disclosure agreement now, I can still put on my sweetest, most naive face and say "I wish you'd said this yesterday".

4. phantom

phantom Active Member

lol, you watch...they are following your every move now.
    this is a marked site now......did I ever mention how amazing Japanese tech and bikes are.
    such a lovely country too ;)

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Even how they should donate new ones to their loyal followers?

I've just relayed the story to our web meister here and when he stopped rolling around laughing, he logged onto it himself as it appears, in the interim, they still haven't locked it out. So I've threatened him not to go filling any bloody forms in on there, even as a prank.

6. Givover

Givover God Like

Looks like a case for Extradition to me ,And no we wont help you fight the case.

7. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Could have been worse, you could have been bundled in a van and bent over a table then subjected to a Japanese shafting.:)

8. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Lets not focus on the upside ... the man is a criminal :eek: