ABS Delete / bypass

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by William Doig, May 28, 2023.

1. William Doig

William Doig Active Member

Hi to anyone experiencing the dreaded flashing ABS warning light / brake lever to the bar issue on the 2008-2016 SC59 CBR1000rr ABS.

I’ve had multiple occurrences of the flashing ABS light and front brake lever going back to the bar, following multiple attempts to bleed the system I’ve decided to bypass the system without removing the brake sense and power valves from the bike.

I’ve not seen anyone else cap the system the way I have, so I decided to write a post and share my experience.

1. Remove the ABS flexible brake hoses from the bike

2. Using a small hacksaw, cut the 4 brake pipes flush with the pipe union blocks (see picture)

3. Drill and tap each pipe block to 6x1metric thread, file/sand the surface flat then fit a bolt and copper washer
    with a little loctite for good measure. (see picture)

4. Paint / or powder coat the modified pipe union blocks

5. Fit the pipe union blocks back on to the bike, the ABS system is effectively capped off and looks factory’ish.

6. Fit non-abs flexible brake hoses and bleed the brakes. Note: I tried fitting HEL racing braided lines but reverted back to OE rubber as I wasn’t happy with the routing / lack of mounting points.

7. The ABS light on the instrument panel works as normal, illuminating when the ignition is switched on and extinguishing when the speed exceeds 10mph. The ABS control unit doesn’t complain despite the fact the bike slows down with zero brake pressure!

This method for deleting ABS is much faster than a full day to remove the ABS ECU and 4x control valves, and makes it easy to reinstate ABS should you / the next owner want to.

cheers.

IMG_4643.jpeg IMG_4638.jpeg IMG_4630.jpeg IMG_4644.jpeg IMG_4631.jpeg IMG_4628.jpeg

#1 William Doig, May 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  2. XRoToR

XRoToR Active Member

Thanks for haring your experience......I have a 2015 that has started to ABS flash almost every ride more than 20-30 minutes and I have started to research solutions. My extened warranty is over and after previous dealer experieces here in Vancouver Canada I am not confident that the dealers here really can handle this type of thing well. Any updates since you made the change?

3. William Doig

Greetings from the UK. My bike has behaved perfectly since bypassing the ABS system, I would consider this a permanent fix. Of course, the ABS system no longer functions, so rider skill is more in focus to ensure your safety, but I’d rather rely on myself than the unpredictable performance of the Honda combined ABS system..

• Like Like x 1
  4. XRoToR

XRoToR Active Member

I read when I got the bike that the abs system should fail in a way that allows failsafe operation and that has been the case knock on wood. But it is disconcerting to feel that brake lever collapse slightly when the fault triggers. I am so used to it now that I can tell befoire I even look for the light. I can see that if you cranked on it hard it may feel like it is bottoming out.

When you did the work did you get much fluid leaking from the unsealed lines to the ABS unit? I gue\ss it does not matter since it does not sound like the computer cares much .about anything if there is no external pressure being applied or sensed in the is case. Probably makes sense for an ABS to be inert in that state.

I am really glad you took the time to post that as I too was dreading the idea of stripping out the entire system. However the weight savings sounds attractive. But for the street riding I do it will be fine and I really like that the ABS light will remain off.

5. William Doig

Unfortunately the lever can also move directly to the bar with zero brake force being applied, best case you knock into the car in front of you in traffic, worst case, well that doesn’t bear thinking about.. I’ve spoken to a few local bikers and they know people who’ve had serious crashes as a result of the problem, one was fatal.

Very little fluid escapes, just take care to protect bodywork / fairings during the procedure.

My main concern on the full strip out is more for future resale, as the bike is registered as an ABS variant. It’s also impossible to remove all traces of the ABS system, as the forks / rear caliper carrier have the casting to accept the wheel speed sensors, which I guess could remain empty but then it looks like the bike is missing something.

6. XRoToR

XRoToR Active Member

I agree with your take on the situation and I have ordered the hoses. I really like riding this bike and it has run flawlessly since I wrote the last email to you compaining about the ABS failing every time. Go figure, but I just don't have confidence anymore so I will continue with the mod. I have a copy of the shop service manual and there is 170 pages in 2 chapters devoted to the braking system. I would guess about 80% or more is devoted to the combined ABS system. I have to admit I was a bit staggared at the complexity of the system when I looked closely at how it is laid out. There is no way I would hand that over to dealers here. They would just mess around, break all my plastics, and maybe kill me in the process.