abs lever feel / travel not happy

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by cmyers_uk, Jun 25, 2011.

1. cmyers_uk

cmyers_uk Active Member

Hi,

I have an 2010 ABS CBR1000RR and love abs however i cant get on with the honda version. I do alot of slow braking through london traffic and the feel at the lever changes some times at very very low speed , if im gently braking the level will suddenly pull back , if i release and re pull its fine. Basically i find the feel at the level very variable and although i always stop fine it doesnt feel at the lever like ive got good brakes. Does anybody else get this? At high speed / hard braking all is fine its when using brakes gently at low speed .

Does anybody else get this?

+ ive had the battery drained by abs 3 times since new which is bloody annoying.

The bikes just been serviced and asked them to look at the brakes , they think all is normal

Cheers
    Chris

2. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

I get this too on my 2011 ABS blade. I was turning into a filling station the one time across traffic and nearly dropped the bike as the lever came pretty much right to the bar! I live on a hill and feel this effect every time I set off, but I'm getting used to expecting it.

Take a look at this...

http://1000rr.co.uk/general-1000rr-discussion/116.htm

3. Brym

Brym Active Member

I get the strange feeling at the lever at very very low speed, it is annoying but I am getting used to it. I think it puts a little bit of rear brake on which releases a bit of the front giving you the strange feeling but still braking. Going that slow I don't find it an issue when you get used to it. The rest of the time its fine I can brake from high speed until my stomach feels like its hit the the front wheel with no strange feel at the lever.

Not had the battery drain issue at all even pushing it around to line up with my ground anchor.

4. Carlosoul

Carlosoul Active Member

I just picked up my Blade last week and today was my first fastish ride, I was coming up to a roundabout off a slip road at around 70mph ish. and when I grabbed the front brake it pulled right in much further than normal, it felt as if the brakes were not going to work.

Is this normal after travelling at hight speed, cant say I noticed it at any other time today though.

5. TonyBlue

TonyBlue Active Member

Blimey, glad I stumped for the non-ABS version.

To be fair I have read as much in the magazines, a bit like parmesian cheese I believe; you either love it or hate it.

6. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

Not had that kind of thing happen on mine at high speed m8. I've done nearly 3k in the couple of months I've owned mine. Only at very slow speed (walking speed) like when you are setting off or doing a U turn etc have I experienced the lever coming in further than I would like. But I'm used to this now and know to watch out for it.

7. Bats

Bats Active Member

I have had the back to bar thing shits you right up! when the bike was 2 day old and standard me first trip was the Isle of man!

I was waiting to board ferry in a line of traffic on the downward ramp so ignition was off i was light pressue on frt and it just came back to bars and off i rolled nearly into the sea lol :0

A quick ignition key hand and fire up got em back i felt a right ball bag ;(

8. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

That sounds like a design fault

So the brakes only work when the ignition is on? Sure trust should have a fail safe which allows the brakes to work regardless of ignition etc

Glad I went for non abs

9. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

If the ignition is off or if there is any kind of fault, the brakes should function as normal (i.e. same as non-ABS bike)

10. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

That's what I would have expected. Otherwise a small electrical fault or blown fuse etc could be catastrophic.

11. TonyBlue

TonyBlue Active Member

...and working brakes are relatively important I do believe....

12. JM1

JM1 Active Member