Advanced rider training

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Lee Beddows, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Lee Beddows

Lee Beddows New Member

After reading a comment on another thread, I started thinking about advanced rider training and wondered if anyone has done any and how much they benefited from it?

I'm a driving instructor so had to train and go through an advanced driving qualification for that.
    The knowledge I gained from that has made my road riding ability better and safer.

So what further training have people had?

2. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

I did wheelie school twice. Does that count?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. T.C

T.C Elite Member

For what its worth, I have -

Police advanced class 1 motorcyclist

Police advanced class 1 car driver

Police qualified driving and riding instructor

Senior advanced motorcycle examiner for RoSPA (1980 – Present)

Senior Advanced driving examiner for RoSPA (1980 – Present)

RoSPA motorcycle diploma qualified instructor (1995 – 2004)

Btec level three motorcycle instructor/assessor (1999 – present)

Department of Transport qualified CBT motorcycle instructor

Department of Transport Direct Access qualified motorcycle instructor.

I was also for about 8 years the chief motorcycle examiner for RoSPA, I wrote and delivered the Motorcycle diploma course for advanced instructors, and I was a founder member of the MRTA (Motorcycle Rider Training Association)

I have various other riding and driving qualifications as well, but they are the main ones.

Does that count?

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Do it Lee

I passed my advanced many years ago, throughly enjoyed the training and a great sense of achievement when you pass, does it make me a better rider ? I would like to think so .
    And with some insurance companies offering a slight reduction in premium you could save some money at renewal time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lee Beddows

Lee Beddows New Member

I'd say yes...

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I've been a fence sitter for a while for the Ron Haslam school. Just haven't been game enough to make the commitment.:rolleyes:

I am sure that any extra training (whether on bikes or anything in life) can only be advantageous.

Counts for me. Great accomplishment and obvious knowledge base. Can't fathom why anyone would be 'optimistic' about it.:confused:

7. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

I did the Suzuki track course at Mallory about 15yrs ago one of the best things I did had dean Ellison as a instructor learnt loads about body position ,,,cornering fast etc.....as for road I once rode with a guy that was a bike cop he never told me what he did for a living until one day I saw him holding a speed camera i! I wondered why he had smooth sweeping lines!

8. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

From an American perspective... I am a nationally certified MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) instructor, NYSMSP (New York State Motorcycle Safety Program) certified instructor, New York State driving instructor as well as a Pro Motion Rider Coach (track school). I work for two different schools and a track day outfit. I would say all the students I have put through the paces (whether it be the BRC [Basic Rider Course] or a level 3 track school) have befitted from the training.

I encourage everyone to take an advanced class, you can never stop learning.

The day you feel you know everything about riding is the day you should sell your bike and never get on one again.

9. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

I did IAM after I gave up racing rather so I could step back and review my road habits.
    I found that knowing I had somebody following me and watching made me far more critical of myself.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hitch

hitch Elite Member

But do you stick with all the best behaviours....or revert to the Fireblade hooliganisms that inevitably follow when one opens the throttle.

I know I would be on my bestest behaviour during training and testing...but then on my own again, well.........:oops:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

I had a ride out with an IAM instructor a couple of years ago, very informative. I would definitely like to complete the course if I can commit the time.

12. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

As the instructor, I always hope they do and I hope I've facilitated the program correctly and have given the student the tools they need to be a better (safer) rider. As a rider, erm..I may or may not have hooligan like spells from time to time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. hitch

hitch Elite Member

iknewit.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Lee Beddows

Lee Beddows New Member

The biggest thing I've taken from the training is to observe everything, expect the unexpected and its not speed that's the issue, its the misuse of speed!

15. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Speed isn’t the issue - it’s the stopping what does the damage

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lee Beddows

Lee Beddows New Member

Hence the misuse of speed! You can go fast as long as its done in the right place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I'd definitely consider some track riding tuition and will take advantage of that this year hopefully.

Never really considered it for the road though. I can see the advantages of it for those who feel they need it or ride for a job, but I've been honing my skills on motorbikes since I was 8 years old, I'm quite happy with the level I'm at for road riding. I'm safe and I know I have the trust of the people i ride with......which counts for a lot :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

I've done the Ron Haslam one about 5 times now, all when they were at Silverstone, need to book in for one at Doddington really, it's such a good day out. You do have to do the Premier course on the new 650R before you can access the Blade school though. And have to have completed the Premier within 2 years.

• Like Like x 2
  19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ooh no, I couldn't do the Blade school:rolleyes:. It's been kindly suggested that I should be on a 'sports tourer' because of my cornering incapabilities. I don't think the learned Mr Haslam has any NC750s:(.

20. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Even though I've done the 'Elite' (Blade) three times, because I haven't been in a span of over two years I would have to go back to the 650, they used to be the 600RR which was great fun. Not too sure on the new 2019 650R though :/