Advice - selling a mobile phone online..

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mattie660, May 16, 2021.

1. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Looking to sell my mobile phone and a google search came up with giffgaffrecycle - they seem very competent.

But the next stage is putting in name and address and all that, so thought I would see what the wisdom of the forum has to say about it - any recommendations for selling phones online.

Thanks.

2. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

my experience of pricing an old phone like this, is that you get so little for it that you might a well give it away to someone!
    How about ebay or equivalent?
    Giving your details are normal to be able to receive your money but make sure it is not a look alike fake site which instead will empty your pocket.

which ever way to go, take good quality picture/ video of the phone conditions so as to avoid damage disputes later on
    good luck:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I have a drawer full of them so let me know how you get on!!! :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Used several online phone buyers with no issues, as long as your description of condition is accurate then it all goes through normally with payment same day they get it.
    Have sold on the bay as well but personally prefer a professional buyer site which is clinically easy and secure.
    Worst experience I had was 3 years ago, sold an iPhone that was 3 years old to one of my mates, so it’s now 6 years old and for the last year he’s moaned like fook that the battery won’t hold a charge, and it was a charity price he paid for it, seriously considering the next time he kicks off, just picking it up and dropping in his pint.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I use Musicmagpie quite often and not had any issues.

I've also sold on eBay a few times, but mobile phones tend to draw every eBay gimp possible. You can usually get more, but sometimes it's not worth the hassle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Thank you all for your replies.

@PauloHRC - I have a few old phones lying around as well - even a little Blackberry - but can't remember the pin and it is locked out now after too many attempts. A couple of iphones in the collection as well.

@Kentblade - good to know selling online is viable. Also sold a nice Sony phone to a work mate for a give away price - but he still hasn't paid me the £45 - and he is impervious to reminders - water off a duck's back !! what can you do...

@dainesefreak - dealing with the general public :D a mate sold some garden furniture and the bloke turned up on a motorbike to collect it :D he told someone else that they could come round any time after 2 pm and they asked if they could come round at 10.30 am :D

People, have to laugh...

Sent the phone off to giffgaff and see if they wire the money. It is only a year old so thought to sell it - Samsung S20 but the small one, and after a year really wanted the one with a larger screen so have upgraded.

• Like Like x 2
  7. blink

blink Well-Known Member

I sold my old android phones from the last several years, and made about £1,500 on ebay

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

That is good going ! worth the effort.

I just checked online banking and giffgaff have paid me the money - how cool is that !

Probably less than a week from sending it to them to getting the price they promised. It was a clean phone with no scratches and only a year old.

But good result. Really easy. Happy bunny :D

• Like Like x 2