Advise on GSX-r750 purchase

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by stuart_g, Sep 10, 2013.

1. stuart_g

stuart_g Active Member

I won a year 2000 GSX-R750 track bike on ebay for £1800. When I went to pick it up I checked it over as best as I could. The only trouble was the frame had carbon protectors on it which were silicone'd to the frame and held on by the expansion bottle bolts as well as being behind the fairing so I couldn't see the whole of the frame. I specifically asked the seller was there any damage or scratches e.t.c. on the frame and was told NO definitely not so I paid and took the bike away.
    At the weekend I took one of the protectors off to find a dent in the frame :mad: I called the seller who said they were not aware there was a dent there and said he sold it to me in good faith. I have asked for a refund but he has told me he has spent the money.
    I have spoken to ebay and they say I am not covered by the buyer protection as I didn't pay via Paypal.

What can I do short of taking legal action?

2. abv

abv Active Member

I'm guessing the dent is from where the end of a clip on has hit the frame. This is very common, my track bike has one the same and I've seen others that have even made a small hole.

It's not a problem, put the frame protector back on and forget about it.

It's not worth the cost of legal action and they would probably say it's a case of buyer beware.

Not what you want to hear I know but it's a track bike I would worry too much.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RichC

RichC Active Member

For £1800 I wouldnt be worried, Ride it have fun.

4. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Sorry to hear this idiot not telling you the truth.Personally I would have pulled them off to check.If he had a problem with me removing them then I would have walked away.Shame ebay cannot help you with it.

What to do now is up to you either sell it or enjoy it.I'd forget about it and enjoy it.

5. stuart_g

stuart_g Active Member

I couldn't take the covers off as they are partly covered by the fairing so that would have had to come off as well.
    I suspect it is going to be hard to prove the damage was there in the first place as he is now saying it was me who did it.
    I can't leave it as I know it isn't right so I'll look into getting it done if the citizens advice bureau think I will have no chance of a refund.

6. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Must be why he put the covers on knowing it would take a while to remove them by a buyer.You have every right to be angry with this idiot.

7. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

The relevant question here should be, did the seller put the protectors on the frame or not......the answer is simple, you will never know and can prove nothing unless he had owned the bike from new or told you he stuck them on. I accept you say he stated no damage but its a personal conversation and no proof of what was said, hindsight is a great thing about what you could and could not have done, but its gone now so move on.

Its the age old adage 'Caveat emptor' never more so true than in an internet auction purchase.

TBH its a track bike, the likelihood is that you will throw down the track at some stage, as long as it rides straight then enjoy it.

8. robinh73

robinh73 Well-Known Member

I agree, use it and enjoy it. My first R6 race bike, that I am currently rebuilding, has got a knock to the frame from the bars, but it is a straight frame, so i am not going to worry about it. Put covers over the knock and have a blast on it. As has been said, being realistic, with it being a track bike, there is every chance you will add to those dents.