Air Duct and Pipe System on CBR1000RR 08

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Singh1000RR, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

Hi All, I have a 2008 CBR that spends 80% of its time on track and 20% on road. Road use is normally after I've done some mods to the bike to ensure its safe for track use (service, brakes pads, etc).

I've done a fairing swap recently and the pipes connected to the air ducts aren't sitting correctly. Not sure why they are loose or where they are meant to sit.

Having said that I read recently that if the bike if primarily being used for track days you can disconnect and remove all the pipes connected to the air ducts and simply cap the end of on the ducts themselves (on the silver metal part).

is this correct? If so what purpose do they serve? I'm talking about the pipes show below that connect to the silver caps and the black plastic tank that is connected.

if true where can I get the caps to block it off - what size are they?

[​IMG]

2. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

The silver parts are diaphragms that lift the intake flaps up and down. The system has the 2 valves for control and the other part is a little vacuum reservoir. The triangular plastic parts are resonators for noise control. Intake flaps are probably there for noise too but some will tell you it improves low rpm throttle response.

You can ditch it all if you want. You can even get the flaps out of the intakes but its a bit fiddly and they need butchering a bit.

If you remove it just measure the holes and order rubber bungs off ebay when it's all out.

Edit to say, if you're going to leave the silver diaphragms in the intakes but remove the hoses just check where the flaps sit at rest as I cant remember which way round they work. If they are closed at rest and you remove the hoses then your flaps will never open!

3. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Search Intake Flapper Mod for even more info! ;)

4. gixxerjim

gixxerjim Active Member

Just fibreglass over them

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

So if im reading you right i can do the following:
    • Remove all pipes, reservoir and chambers
    • Remove Silver caps/diaphragms - but ensure HOLES and either filled in or covered with a bung to create air tight seal.
    • Make sure inner flaps are fixed (left) in OPEN position
    is the above correct? Anything else i need to do?

I do have a spare set that i can "practice" on

6. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Correct.