ALOC Brake Caliper Bolts

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by JM1, Apr 28, 2011.

1. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Just posting this for info in case it helps or anyone. wants to comment...

In order to fit new front brake pads, you need to unbolt the calipers, which is fine. However, Honda use ALOC* bolts and recommend that you use new ones every time.

*Some people say these bolts are hollow. Some people say it's just because thread locking compund has been used and actually they are fine to reuse as long as you clean them up first etc. Some people say other more complicated stuff related to the structure of the bolts and stretching.

Anyway, I've replaced mine with stainless steel ones from Pro Bolt (£20), which I believe wil be safe to re-use multiple times.

2. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

I re-use the original bolts on my 2003 cbr6000rr track bike all the time with no problems

3. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

I have used original Honda high tensile bolts several times with no problems. Not sure if the stainless bolts have the same tensile strength as the originals. When you torque a bolt up , it stretches to pull the joint together and when you undo it , it SHOULD return to it's original length. Some don't and should be binned. I think Honda are just being over cautious and costing us a lot of cash !!!

4. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Don't the calipers come off when the front wheel is removed too for tyre changes? If so I don't reckon a Honda dealer changes the caliper bolts when they change a tyre.

I do fancy some stainless steel ones though...

5. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

Stainless ones could strip the thread very easy if over tightened.

I just reuse my standard hollow ones. Just don't over tighten and use a drop of loctite

All my mates with blades use standard ones too so think it's caution from honda

6. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Thanks gents.
    I've reused mine quite a few times on this and previous bikes too, but I had a sudden wave of paranoia after my new discs were on for some reason.

7. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

Just don't over tighten them I would say. Once it's nipped that's it. Anything more will just stretch the bolt and once loses it elasticity its actually less efficient as its not pulling the 2 faces together.

I torque and tension bolts of over 3" diameter at work day in day out and if the bolt is overtightened and stretched it's just a big door stop afterwards.