any builders / architects on here.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by rocket, Aug 19, 2014.

1. rocket

rocket Active Member

Hi guys,
    After a bit of advise.Im in the process of buying a new house and selling our current home. The one were buying is in a prime location for us and is detached and very spacious. It has a 24ft long garage thats been the main reason we want to move. The downside is the bungalow and its attached garage is in an elevated positon to the extent that i wouldnt be able to get the car up the drive due to the steepness nor be able to park safely on the drive. Any one make a rough guess on price to demolish and rebuild the garage after digging down to make it more level with the road. It would be reattached to the house and just have a flat roof. Thanks guys as in a bit of a dilemma.

2. Givover

Givover God Like

Might be worth putting a couple of photos and the difference in height up dude ...? How did the other people get there car into the garage ?

3. rocket

rocket Active Member

hi giv, i,ll try and get some pics tommorow. current owners been there 40 years but have no car anymore. i would guess the garage would need to be lowered by approx 1.5 metres. the place is perfect otherwise but my main reason for moving is a garage to keep car and bike in with main car out on drive.

4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Would it not be cheaper to raise the drive?

EDIT just read again

5. rocket

rocket Active Member

6. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I would take the cheap easy option (I don't even know if this is possible) I would start the drive to the left of the house going across the front lawn at a right angle to the current drrive slowly increasing the level, then bring the existing drive upto level sat at 90 deg to the new one

I have never built anything in my life and I'm sure there is a million reasons not to do this etc but it just popped into my head

7. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Doing what U suggest Rocket could be very costly.

It's not quite as simple as knocking down the old Garage, digging down another 1500mm then rebuilding as the foundations of the existing house will be above that level so would just cave in.
    Also there's a good chance the Garage is also sat on the same foundations and is a continuation of the House wall, i.e. the brickwork is keyed in to the House.

You need a structural engineer for advice and do-ability and then when a plan has been formulated an Architect to draw up some plans for a builder to execute.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Yep, it's the pro's for that. It's a chance you have a raft foundation across the lot as Sine said. Without looking Martin's idea doesn't sound a bad one if you are happy to lose the garden/slope. If money is no issue get the Engineers in. Good Luck.
    Mike

9. rocket

rocket Active Member

hi guys, thanks for the replies. i went back again today with a builder and the best option is as martin suggested is to start the drive to the left come across the garden then sweep around to the garage door ( a neighbouring property has done similar and there even more elevated than this one). should be about a £5-£6 k job but a lot cheaper than rebuilding what is a nice garage to start with.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ozzer76

ozzer76 Member

11. rocket

rocket Active Member

Time for an update. We decided to stay where we are as doubling our mortgage in value and term just to gain a garage seemed silly when i,m uncertain how secure my job is in next few years. Next question is this, out the front of our house we have a 5m x 6m hard standing thats slightly elevated from the garden but level access to the lane that joins the road, i,m now thinking could i get permission to build a timber garage that sits on the existing walls of the hard standing. The garage would be the full size of the hard standing with a flat roof and double length roller door. Not sure how the process works but am i right in thinking that a timber structure is easier in planning terms than a brick built one. Also if i submitted plans do they contact all neighbours or normally pin a notice to the nearest lamp post?. All advice appreciated. :D

12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Chances are you could get away with it as a temporary structure mate and wouldn't need planning at all. Like the huge sheds and log cabin offices folk put in their gardens.

Prob piss the neighbours off though but feck them...

My advice is to take some photos, sketches and dimensions, as well as some info of something similar you want to erect and go down and speak to your local planning office over the counter. They will give you all the advice you need mate :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Givover

Givover God Like

Or you might get permission for a brick garage / or one of them concrete sectional ones which may be classed as a non fixed structure .Not sure about a wooden one ,the quality of timber these days is rubbish so you would be forever treating or repairing it .

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

15. rocket

rocket Active Member

nice one jimbo. would meet all the criteria except rule 4! will make a few calls. thanks lads.