any legal eagles here

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Julian, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Julian

Julian Active Member

I'm skint :mad::mad: I can't get any overtime at work, nor can I get a second job due to family commitments, one of those commitments being a dog that needs a lot of exercise, whilst out with her today and seeing people turn up in there car walk until their dog crapped then turning round and going again it occurred to me that there must be hundreds of sad under exercised, unstimulated dogs desperately in need of walking.
    I thought I might stick up a couple of postcards in local shops offering dog walking for sociable,obedient dogs, just for a little cash in hand kind of thing, what are the legal implications of doing this and how would I stand on insurance etc etc ..

2. Givover

Givover God Like

Not a bad idea dude as the couple opposite where I work have just got a puppy jack Russell and are currently employing a company called Wagtails who come around in a van and take the Jack out or spend time in the house for 12 pound an hour and noting other dogs in the van its a good wheeze .
    Might be worth going on a dog grooming course ( No Firebloke jokes please) to up the skill level also check out The Dog Wisperer on you tube for ideas .Not sure on the legal side .

3. Barney1take2

Barney1take2 God Like

Its a good idea, a few around here do it for extra cash ,

One dog , two walks a day , morning afternoon , £18.00 per dog .
    You get 4/5 dogs per day not a bad income at all .

4. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

But the dangerous dogs act has just changes so be careful..... Friendly dog is now a danger..... Wrong!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

A friend of my mums makes a living off this as her only income, but believe it or not it was quite expensive to set up,

1- the van she has to pick the dogs up in has to be insured for business use

2- the van had to be set up with seperate cages and then set up with air con to keep the dogs cool when picking up and dropping of others

3- she had to get insurance for a kind of multi dog policy as its her responsibility while under her care if the dog bites someone or another dog or gets itself injured.

4- lots of other special equipment like multi dog leads etc

Ontop of all this she had to learn alot about each bread as some have to be rested after so much or shaded in certain heats etc, I have probably missed loads but hopefully that gives you an idea

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

From the looks of Martins post there is the proper way of doing it and the possibly not so way of doing it. I have no legal info on this but depends on how much you make. if you already pay Tax on your job and making a few bob on another way then you may get issues with a 2nd job and not paying tax. if your doing it for people you trust then you may have no issues but worth googling to find out more or hoping someone with more insight into this may be able to help

7. scooby

scooby Elite Member

all income should be declared it's as simple as that,so with that in mind,if you wanted to do it as cash in hand type thing,then you'd struggle to get proper insurance to cover you,the dogs and general public should anything bad happen.

with todays blame/claim mentality,you have to be really carefull,its bollox i know but thats how everythings going these days :(

8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

all income if it's taxable. Income from ISA and premium bonds not so from what I understand

9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Yeah but most self employed people have a bit of "private" work don't they! If they don't, then they should lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. scooby

scooby Elite Member

yes obviously,but we aren't talking about tax relief benefits,ISA's,pension contributions,ride to work schemes etc,we are talking about working for payment,which should be declared.

it would be different if this was your main source of income,as then you wouldn't exactly declare all your payments,but as it wouldn't be,and with the potential issues of dog attacks etc you'd need some sort of insurance policy.

but,if your jusat on about walking mrs jones's poodle twice a week for 20 quid then dont see it being that much of an issue,but if your loking to make a decent amount of money,walking most days then thats were it could get tricky.