Any mechanics?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Yorkshire Tyke, May 18, 2015.

1. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

Having trouble with my mk6 transit and I need to get to snetterton on thursday.

Basically this morning wouldn't start just clicking. Jumped it off and drove 10 miles for an MOT. Turned off waited then back on for the test. Off, then back on again and drove home. Went to start this evening and just clicking again.

Starts OK with jump so guessing starter motor is OK. Checked for bad earth and got OK readings. Battery is 12.7V but after a couple of starts drops to 12.4V and just clicking again. Is this a bad battery? Don't suspect alternator as when its been running a while it seems to hold some charge.

Was gonna go out ans fire it up to check running voltage (check alternator) but it was dead again.

Cheers!!!

2. Scottmurray2890

Scottmurray2890 Active Member

Certainly sounds like a power issue to me mate

Check Condition of battery terminals as loose / I'll fitting connections can give same symptoms

3. sinewave

sinewave God Like

You should be looking at seeing 14.5V + on a good Batt Mark!

Get a new'un bought ASAP

4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Needs a new battery by sounds of it as said above
    Also if your doing a lot of short journeys the alternator won't be giving it much of a charge so a long run every now and then would be good

5. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

12.4v-12.7v resting voltage is fine and should turn the motor over, but the battery needs to be load tested to be sure as it could still be the issue.

Get the van started mate and down to Halfords or motor factors/tyre place that does batteries- They should test it FOC.

6. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Totally agree, sounds like battery to me too. Loads of people will check it for free if they think they are going to get a battery sale out of it ;)