any plumbers heating engineers here!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by rocket, Oct 22, 2013.

1. rocket

rocket Active Member

after some advice guys. i have a worcester greenstar boiler currently running 7 rads in the house. my bike garage/workshop is approx 6 metres from the house and gets absolutely freezing. i,ve been thinking about plumbing an extra rad off the house system to keep the chill off down there. the total loop of extra pipework would probably be about 12-13 metres in total with the rad obviously in the middle. i could run half the pipework under the decking frame but the other half would be buried under the soil. the boiler normally runs 3 periods a day when cold so can,t imagine freezing pipes would be an issue but would the boiler handle the extra capacity needed with the pipework and the 8th rad. thanks guys.

#1 rocket, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. sinewave

sinewave God Like

That would be one hell of a Heat Sink even with max insulation.

Have you considered a small Heat Pump A/C unit?

A simple back to back split 2.5kW unit would be around £750 fitted and be far cheaper to run?

3. flynn07

flynn07 New Member

Its not recommended mate i would use elec heater or small lpg heater

I wanted to put a rad in my conservatory and was told i would need planning permission as its not " permenant dwelling"

Sinewaves is a good alternative

4. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I changed my Oil Heating system over to an ASHP (Air Source Heat Pump) in 2010 and reduced my previous years Oil bill of £3200 down to a £1950 Electric bill instead!

Works exactly the same as a Heat Pump A/C unit but heat the water instead.

Produces a bit off Ice though in deepest winter!

09122010055.jpg

5. just_me _and _me _bike

Jeeze u dont wanna b gerring the bike anywhere near that ice :eek:

Wud it not b better to have a separate heater in the garage, summat that is powered by wind or solar??

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

If your garage is not insulated adding a heater or rads will result in lots of condensation and result is your tools and metal parts (bike included) rust quicker.

I have a panel heater when it gets cold in my garage but also use a dehumidifier. And only use both when i'm working in the garage in the winter. or when it gets below zero.

7. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

In the same position is the OP, detached garage/workshop, just use an electric fan heater and an extra jumper....far cheaper

8. The.kickboxer

The.kickboxer Active Member

SW your drain to the under unit tray is blocked, if that ice is allowed to build on the finned evaporator it may well do expensive damage to it.
    An air to air heat pump is the way to go Bud, my company has been fitting these for 30 years and they are the cheapest running cost of all the types available. one with a triple A rating and an inverter compressor will cost you about about £900 installed but comes with a 7 year warranty (Mitsubishi Electric).
    Running current for a 2.5Kw Heat Pump = 2.6Amps
    Running current for a 2.5Kw electric heater = 10.43Amps
    1.85Kwh saved for ever hour you run it times the ever increasing electricity costs, do the math.

9. rocket

rocket Active Member

thanks for the replys lads. it was just an idea but maybe 1 day we will be able to move and have a nice internal garage or at least 1 attached to the house. then she,ll be plumbed up lol. also not insulated so yes matt i probably would rust everything out. will look into something portable for when i,m down there.

10. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

What kilowattage is your greenstar, shipmate?

If it's a combination it'll handle it easily.

I'd do exactly what you originally proposed. After all water mains run underground and they don't freeze. If you bury the pipes deep enough and insulate them properly you'll be right as rain.