Any vauxhall / renault mechanics on here - help needed

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by fez.57, Jun 20, 2013.

1. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

My 2005 vauxhall movano 2.5 cdti 115 keeps cutting out at 1600rpm whilst under load.

This appears to be a very common fault but nobody seems to know how to fix it

The 3 areas i believe to be the cause are

1.fuel rail pressure release valve

2. boost pressure solenoid

3. EGR valve

2. Doodles

Doodles Active Member

Fez,
    I have just had exactly the same fault on mine which is on a 52 plate. Kept going onto limp mode.

When they plugged the computer in it was the EGR fault code that came up on it, they changed that and it was ok for a week or so then the same fault happened again but was intermittent. This time it was a solenoid, not sure which one but it has been ok for about a month.

Cost me about 400 quid to get it sorted in the end!!

3. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

as i say it seems to be a very common fault covering quite a vast amount of vans, had mine on the diagnostic machine that showed it was shutting down the fuel pressure pump but it is not showing any other faults as to why it is doing it, my garage seem to be stumped and all vauxhall uk say is replace the entire fuel system but they can stick that,

its a works veichle so cost is not an issue but its my favourite van and would like it back, had the fuel filter and new loom fitted but thats not worked, it would appear that honda are not the only company to try and cover up a huge problem and not issue a recall

i did think at first it was intermittent but after it happened a few times i soon picked up what was happening and i can now get it to cut out on request, the garage say they want to torch it as it is driving them up the wall lol

#3 fez.57, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  4. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Talking to my BIL who's worked on many and he says if it was the EGR it would not start. Well 9 times out of 10 as they are jammed open

Said it could be the cam shaft sensor or fuel pressure sensor due the fuel pump being fecked

5. vvtr

vvtr New Member

injectors i bet.
    mines on its 2nd engine this year cos of the same fault!

if youre still stuck i might be able to point you at someone who can help.
    problem is, getting the injectors out of the head.
    apparently it starts when water gets on them :?
    so much so that even if youve had the windscreen replaced by a non-vauxhall dealer (ie autoglass) they will invalidate your warranty.
    renault just replace the engine, no questions asked. £7k worth!
    so if youre after a good van... find a late model traffic with a misfire and get it into a renault dealer! :)

6. coupe312

coupe312 Active Member

if it is the EGR its only a clean out that needed . my misses mondeo need it all the time

7. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Before you do anything check the earths on the body to engine.Had a few renaults with severed earths causing intermittent faults.Have known many garages spend fortunes on bits only to discover later on it was a simple earth connection.Egr valve could be stuck in any position causing a limp mode,some can start some not depending on the position where it is stuck.Cleaning it may work.I would replace it.1600 revs could point to fuel pressure or turbo boost pressure solenoids.Intercooler pipes could be split? Hope you find it without too much hassle.

8. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help guys, as said the diagnostics machine is saying the fuel pressure pump is being switched off but its not showing any reason at all for why this is happening. 1 point i have not said is that it will only do it when its upto temperature and will not fault when cold.
    This is just confusing things even more though

9. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Ahhhh that makes a difference LOL.Crank or ecu temperature sensor.Or earth points as already said.You only need one sensor to break down especially those two sensors to shut the fuel off.

• Like Like x 1
  10. coupe312

coupe312 Active Member

sideways got it first... if it fine cold then dont work hot has to be a temp sensor