anybody owned a honda civic 2.2 diesel

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by fez.57, Jul 8, 2013.

1. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

I am looking at buying 1 as my next car but wanted some info from owners especially about the clutch issues that are very common with the early models

2. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I have the 2.2 crv if that helps, most prob same engine

3. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Yeh thats the same engine and its in the accord. what year is it martin and and problems with the clutch ?

4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

2007, no issues mate apart from an engine management light that came on a couple of months ago and Honda tried to screw me for a new turbo! Had it looked at else where and it was a problem with a parking sensor :mad:

5. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Had a 60 plate 2.2 ES as company car - without doubt the most tiresome and uncomfortable car I have ever driven - it was a company vehicle and thankfully only had to drive it for about a year before I was able to get a 2009 Golf GT TDi with 1 year left to run on its lease.

THe ride quality is non-existant, look for the Top Gear road test on youtube of the Type-R - if felt as though there was no rear suspension. I wrote to Honda 3 time begging to see if parts from the newer one could be fitted to improve it as its unacceptable. You don't just feel the bumps the whole car booms / crashes over when it goes over breaks in road trim.

2 reasons I think made it worse, 1. It had the non-opening glass roof, 2. it rode on 17" rims as standard with low profile tyres

Its clever inside, but flawed in basic area of vehicle noise / vibration etc. - It was economical as I avoided driving the thing wherever possible.

6. blade1980

blade1980 Active Member

I have a 12 plate (new shape) ES model and I can't fault it in any way, plenty of power, good economy and a good ride in my opinion, lots of electic gizmos inside to play with and plenty of storage space in the boot! Never had anything go wrong with it at all, and would recommend one !

7. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

Hi Fez it was the best & worst car we've owned! Has plenty of performance, excellent handling, excellent fuel economy, ride could be a bit hard at times but awesome to drive! But reliability was shocking and nobody would believe it from a HONDA
    Right we bought one nearly new 2.2 CDTi Civic in 2006 it was a 55 plate we had problems with clutch peddle, rear suspension and had to get a replacement gearbox all before it had 11,000 on the clock so we got a replacement car 06 plate but again clutch problems, suspension had to be replaced umpteen times was in the dealers more than it was out! So we gave up and got shot of it! I was told back then that new shocks were being developed for the Civic and they should be available for our car in 2-3 months! I have a colleague who has 06 2.2 Civic and she has just received the said revised shock that's only a 9 year wait!
    I can only comment on my experience of the early cars mate and I'm not sure about newer cars as I kinda lost interest in the Civic but I would hope that Honda would have sorted the problems for the newer cars!
    I wish you all the best mate with your search get yourself a good one and you've got yourself one hell of a car :D

8. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

I have 5 2.2 crdti crv in for breaking most things are injectors turbos and don't let dual mass flywheel slap around for long or you will need a gearbox . Engine do around 2k most engine failures after 125k

9. coupe312

coupe312 Active Member

Sales had a accord 2.2 and TDCI and did over 270k without any issues, however he used to only have evos before

10. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Cheers guys. i think the shocks have been sorted now but it is the clutch issues that bother me the most. its exactly the same as the oil burning issues with the fireblade, its a well known fault that honda try there best to ignore it and pretend its not there and the replacement fix isnt much better. heard people are fitting aftermarket performance clutches that are cheaper than hondas but can handle the torque.
    As said above they appear to be a cracking car if you get 1 that works

11. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Shocks only sorted on 12 model year / late generation cars, are you getting almost new one?

If you are looking new try the 1.6 diesel

12. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

55 plate 2.2 accord estate with 154k and climbing. Reliability been ok but is starting to get a bit rattly now so will probably get rid of it this year.

13. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

It is a real shame because like the Blade it is something special and it's the usual Honda resting on their laurels! We had a 99 Civic sport 1.4i from new with 100k and it never missed a beat but was pretty unremarkable to drive (old mans car) a bit like a cb500 and the new one was more like the Blade that's why it was the obvious choice for a new'un! I really hope you get a good'un mate!!:D We had to get a replacement clutch in our replacement car there's a lot of torque to cope with but Honda should have fitted a clutch able for this. Best of Luck mate with your search