Anyone been to Miami ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by iang27, May 7, 2016.

1. iang27

iang27 Active Member

We are off to Orlando in the summer but are flying into Miami as it was at least £1k cheaper that flying into Orlando.

We are staying three nights but were wondering if anyone could recommend things to do (Apart from watching the bikini clad hotties at South Beach !) with kids 12 and 16 ( Although the 16 year old would like the bikinis)

Not staying on the South Beach part as the prices for meals etc are extortionate.

2. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

Last time there we stayed on the Marina area. We bought the hop on/hop off bus tour and got a two day ticket. It does two routes, one out to South beach and the other through down town and the suburbs including Little Havana where there were some great reasonably priced reastaurants doing Cuban style food.
    The hop on/hop off was really good value as we didn't need to use taxis.
    Also on the marina area was the Bubba Gump shrimp company which was novel and decent prices...
    If you don't need your waiter/waitress you leave a sign on the end of your booth saying "Run Forest, Run", but if you need something you flick the sign over to Stop Forest, Stop"
    We also did one of the boat tours out from the marina and you saw all the celebs houses and super yachts.
    Enjoy.

3. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I have not been to Miami Beach since the late 70's, but if it is still there, Rosie O'Gradies is/was a good night out and worth a visit.

A trip down to the Florida Keys is worthwhile, the sunset is stunning but it is real old world as well.

Only time we go into Miami these days is to catch a ship :);)

4. jjones

jjones New Member

Hire car then either keys or Kennedy space centre, preferably both

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. iang27

iang27 Active Member

Staying at the Holuday Inn opposite the cruise ships area so fairly central.
    Will take s look at the hop on bus and the restaurant.
    We are going up to Orlando for 13 days so we are looking at the space centre.

6. nick2bates

nick2bates Member

Hiya.
    Been to miami a few times. Actually in orlando airport at the moment on way back from holiday.
    Have you thought about staying in Fort lauderdale instead. Much cheaper.
    Just a thought.

7. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I have stayed in Fort Lauderdale on a couple of occasions, and I always felt uncomfortable there. There is something about the place that makes you feel uneasy. Can't put my finger on it, but it certainly has not been as enjoyable as Orlando or Miami.

On the plus side, Fudruckers in Fort Lauderdale is the best hamburger joint in the USA. ;)

8. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

It a long time since I was in Miami. But, I remember not feeling to safe on the beach at Miami and that key west is a long way from Miami. I wouldn't say don't go but bare in mind there was not a lot to see and do there in 1982 . Great views on the way there.
    TBH if it was an extra grand spread over 3/4 of you, I'd pay the extra grand, especially if you've never done Orlando before. I have just returned from a Disney holiday, last Thursday. If you've never been and want help let me know.

9. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Drop the family off and drive around the local bike shops. I did this a few years ago. Just google for night life, shopping etc. loads to do

I'm going for 3 weeks in the summer including driving down past miami to Key largo and then up via Fort Se Soto and Sebring race track

to give you a few ideas

10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

11. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. iang27

iang27 Active Member

We have been to Orlando the last five years and been over 10 times in total, first time I to Miami though so we thought we would stay three days.
    My wife was looking at Ft Lauderdale but there did not appear much to do so we will try Miami this time.
    Got the hotel for £210 for the three nights ( 4 of us)
    Got an even better price on the Hyatt Place Pointe Orlando, £650 for 13 nights with breakfast. Stayed there last year so know it's ok.
    The Keys do look a hike away, seem remote. Got my wife thinking it will be like the Chainsaw massacre or hills have eyes area.

13. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

It might not be right timing for your visit, but bike week at Daytona Beach looks like it would be a laugh - just in case anyone else might be interested.

Dates are:
    13-16 October 2016 for Biketoberfest
    10-19 March 2017 for 76 Annual Daytona Bike Week, Daytona Beach, FL

My mate at work is really into his craft beers, and looks like Florida has some good beer brewing going on:

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/miami/the-10-best-breweries-in-florida-ranked

Have a great time !