Anyone got a OnePlus One phone?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BoroRich, May 7, 2015.

1. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

My Nexus 5 decided to commit Seppuku the other day. I've managed to flash it back to Android 4.4.4 and it now switches on but it's still not right so I decided to get a new phone. I've opted for a OnePlus One but nobody I know has one.

Any of the members on here have one?

If so how do you rate it?

2. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

Are these the ones that run Cyanogenmod? I don't have the OnePlus One but I did run Cyanogenmod on my previous Samsung Galaxy S3. It was an improvement over the crap Samsung stock ROM, but was still pretty buggy. When it worked it was great but stuff used to crash quite often. But then so does Android Lollipop on my latest LG G3...

3. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Yeah they ship with Cyanogenmod pre-installed.

AFAIK it's a stable version of Cyanogenmod and they're also offering their own OS called Oxygen.

I had my Nexus 5 flashed but never put a custom mod on it.

4. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

Yeah - I was using the Cyanogenmod nightlies which are dev releases so they were perhaps more buggy than the stable releases. I ran the stable releases on a couple of Android tablets and they were OK, but they weren't used a lot so hard to tell for sure if they were better.

The OnePlus One phone itself does look very cool tho :)

5. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I was a bit unsure, to be honest. It used to be an invite only purchase :confused: but they're now released to general sale. The ordering process via their website was a little disconcerting and buggy but I got it to go through after a couple of false starts. The paypal payment was made to the Da Dasheng International Trade Co. in China and I'd heard a few stories about it taking ages for them to get delivered but I ordered mine on Monday and it's apparently been signed for by one of my neighbours whilst I've been at work today. AFAIK they have them in stock in the UK now and that's where mine's shipped from.

I'm interested to see what it's like when I get home. I got the 64gb version. The price is ridiculously low if it's all it's cracked up to be.

6. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I think I read recently that OnePlus had fallen out with Cyanogenmod and the next version of the phone will be a different OS - maybe that Oxygen OS you mentioned?

7. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Yeah I read that too.I think it's still shipping with Cyanogenmod installed. I guess we'll find out when my neighbour comes home and gives me my damned package :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  8. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

Let us know what it's like (if it's in one piece!) :eek:

9. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Never heard of it?

Best go Google!

10. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Not met anyone personally but have seen people post good reviews of them on other websites. Was thinking about one when my Nexus 5 goes but am now considering a Huawei P8 instead as they also do a dual SIM model which would mean only needing the one mobile. Some good stuff coming out of china now, just stick to mainstream and you will (should?) be safe.

11. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Well impressed with it so far. I've got it set up how I want it.

The phone's very quick and the screen's nice. The packaging and accessories all feel very premium.

It's already updated itself to Cyanogenmod 12 so I'll have to see how that works out but considering the price of the thing I'm chuffed to bits with it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. slasherr

slasherr Active Member

A mate has one and he really rates it, seems well speced, reasonable build quality and for a good price.

13. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I'm well impressed. I can't believe they sell it for the price they do! :eek:

14. shackbleep

shackbleep New Member

I'm tempted to go for one of these to replace my nexus 4....