Anyone know much about Skodas??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RichC, Nov 16, 2013.

1. RichC

RichC Active Member

Been to look at a new family bus today..

Skoda Octavia VRS CR TDI DSG 170 loads of spec for not a lot of money 33k miles for 11 grand, plenty of space, toys and decent performance. Anyone had one?!

• Like Like x 1
  2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

I've got a skoda superb tdi elegance that's fully loaded with kit, built like a tank and has been very good, you get a lot of kit for the money! The vrs are well spec'd, had mine 4 years and would buy another skoda, it's just a rebadged VW

3. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Great cars, only bad thing is the badge lol

4. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Do your homework on the DSG, you either get one that works flawlessly, or you you get a bucket of issues.
    When they fail its 2.5k for the mechatronics unit.
    Now they are recalling hundreds of thousands of the 7 speed unit as they have found the oil in them corrodes the electrics in the mech unit

I had 2 years of hell with a Golf GTI DSG from new, personally would not touch the box again.

DSG= don't shift gears

5. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

I have the fabia vrs (130) and I think its a brilliant little car. Very nippy as you would expect but it returns 60mpg. I would look at the octavia vrs if I was ever to upgrade

6. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Great reliable cars, gearbox issues are the only issues I know of.These start to go wrong at 100k plus miles.A mate has a fleet of 38 Octavias and he praises them all the time.DSG gearbox like Kentblade says are troublesome when they go wrong.Mate has 2 with DSG with no problems at over 200k miles.If its iffy walk away.The standard gearboxes go on the whole VW-Skoda ranges and taxi firms all have them,s/h gearboxes can be hard to find.A good car is what taxi firms use for reliability and running costs.So they are great cars.
    VRS have better seats, standard models get uncomfortable after a few miles.

7. Davem13

Davem13 Active Member

Love the Skoda Vrs`s, on my 4th....Only had the Fabia with DSG, great when wanting to go quickly or in traffic, not keen on using the paddles when in town as quite difficult to use smoothly but that could have been me.
    Otherwise great cars for the price....
    If it was me I would look for a manual, and in fact I have just swapped mine for the latest Octy VRS Diesel estate but in manual form.....

8. rocket

rocket Active Member

been a vag driver years now and there bullet proof motors most of the time. the engines used in golfs, a3,s a4,s etc but like others have said gearboxes can be problematic. good choice of car but i,d try and find a 6 speed manual one!!