APE manual tensioner

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by cabbie, Aug 10, 2011.

1. cabbie

cabbie Guest

Is it a good idea to fit a manual cam chain tensioner? My bike has just had a race tune done to the top end and now I have a slight noise, I read the auto tensioners get stuck!

2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

My DRZ started making some noise and the addition of a cam chain tensioner sorted that out as the auto 1 that it came with was crap. Seems to be a good idea on most bikes so it cant do any harm

3. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Manual tensioners are pretty good, blue bottle has one on her blade. When the cam chain becomes rattly screw in the adjuster by just one flat. Two will be crotchetty!!!!!!!!

4. cabbie

cabbie Guest

Well the new tensioner is in and I rode the bike all day Sunday, the slight "tick" has gone and it's back the silky smooth again, happy days.

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Active Member

How hard are they to fit and then adjust? Can any numpty change and adjust them?

6. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Its easier to fit than the standard tensioner, screw in the adjuster till you feel the slipper start the engine and screw in the adjuster till a whine is heard then unscrew by one flat of the adjuster nut. The down side being manual it would require regular maintaining.