Aprilia RSV1000R Factory

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by dern, Nov 26, 2022.

1. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Picked this up cheap a few weeks ago as a bit of a project...

rsv.jpg

It's a 2004 but looked in good condition and had a load of receipts. Got it for £3500 which is pretty good I think and had had all its recalls. Has a fireblade sidestand, so that's nice.

Put it through its mot which it passed with no advisories so taxed, insured it and rode it for the first time today...

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2801.jpg

Got pretty dirty but it came up nice with a jet wash.

Everything feels good, suspension and steering feel great. The engine feels good but developed a big hesitation when giving it a load of throttle. Will start with plugs and air filter and go from there. Might be fuel but it hadn't been sat that long and put 2/3 tank super in it. Clutch feels very heavy with I think is fairly normal on these but have ordered an oberon slave cylinder anyway and will clean up the actuator rod and flush the system.

Will be a really nice bike when running properly.

• Like Like x 20
  2. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Great bike for the money….. pound for pound probably more entertaining than most current sports bikes:) Nice

• Like Like x 1
  3. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

Thats a pretty sweet deal. Congrats

• Like Like x 1
  4. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Lovely, as I get older twins make more sense. Change the fuel and check the filler overflow drain, know issue on these.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cookster

Cookster Active Member

great bikes these

• Like Like x 1
  6. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Very nice.

I had a gen 1 for a while, clutch is generally heavy, some people said the Oberon made a difference others not. The clutch jet was also a common upgrade to help with the weight and false neutrals.

https://www.apworkshops.co.uk/aprilia-clutch-jet-4-to-fit-rsv-tuono-06.html

The AP workshop guys know their stuff if you need anything.

Another common one with these was the starter solenoid upgrade to stop it killing the battery.

https://www.apworkshops.co.uk/aprilia-solenoid-upgrade-150-amp.html

• Like Like x 2
  7. Coda

Coda Active Member

What is it with Italian bikes and heavy clutches? o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. warren smart

warren smart Active Member

My gen1 rsvr is heavily modified and the best mod for making the clutch lighter was an rcs clutch mc and adjust the ratio on it, I’ve also got the Oberon slave and jet mod but the mc has made the biggest difference.

9. warren smart

Check the rear suspension linkage has been serviced as they easily seize, pull it apart and re grease it, ap workshop sell a full service kit if needed, check the brown plug on the wiring loom that sits in the v of the engine as they’re known to burn as the gen2 generator puts out to much spiff, there’s a guy in Austria that modifies the flywheel and generator to get the correct output.

10. Edward1990

Edward1990 Active Member

Cool deal you had, congrats for new toy, don't be confuse over minor modifications just take them as essentials.... have safe rides...being in 2023 adopt more safety measures to avoid any obstacle.

11. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Any updates @dern

12. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

Looks nice :)

13. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Not too many updates I don't think, the weather has been annoyingly crap when I haven't been busy which unfortunately I have been. Anyway...

I fitted the Oberon clutch slave and that has made the clutch a little lighter but not massively so. I'm still happier that I've got a good slave in there rather than the one that was leaking and was fixed... somehow. I think that I'll fit an rcs clutch master cylinder on in the spring.

I changed the plugs and took it out for a ride and it felt great until about half an hour in and then it started cutting out as before momentarily with wide open throttle applications. I still don't know what is causing this but I've fitted a sidestand by pass as that could be as issue and I wanted to eliminate it.

I have a second hand set of coils that I'll test out if necessary too.

Other potential causes are issues around fuelling and apparently the hoses inside the tank can degrade and cause problems. My job this weekend is to replace these hoses and the main fuel filter as the oe replacement arrived this week. The teabag filter also does not look clean at all so I'll give that a flush.

With respects to the comments about suspension and the brown plug - these things have already been done. The suspension has been fully serviced including the linkages.

I've got a discrete led to fit that shows me whether the system is charging correctly. Having had stator issues on an RRY blade I really don't want to get stuck in the sticks waiting for recovery again.

Finally the bike is booked in to AP in a couple of weeks to balance the TBs, do a 'tune' and see if they can find the source of the hesitation if the above doesn't fix it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. warren smart

Griff and the lads at ap will definitely find any problems and sort them for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steve750

steve750 Active Member

As above....Griff knows everything about all the Aprilia's, both old and new.

Many years ago, he changed the clutch jet and balanced the TB's and tweaked the suspension and it felt like a different bike. Check your forks and ensure nothing is rubbing on them....mine had a suspected fork seal leak but found out that cabling/wires had worn through the top of my Ohlins where the seal sits....not great!!

16. dern

dern Well-Known Member

I changed the fuel lines in the tank, cleaned the tea bag filter (had a reasonable amount of sediment in the jam jar after the first spin cycle) and replaced the main filter. I also put completely fresh fuel in along with some injector cleaner. I took it out for a ride and it ran well but I learned nothing as it was so slippery I couldn’t apply full throttle safely. It seems to run really well but I can’t tell off the problem still persists without a dry road, a warm bike and some ham fisted throttle action.

I’ll hopefully get out one lunchtime to try it out but it’s due at AP in a couple of weeks. I’m just slightly concerned that they won’t be able to replicate it if I’ve not fixed the issue.

Got the bike very dirty though so out with the jet wash.

20684D31-C9F7-4EA2-97E9-C4DCAB16ECF9.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  17. steve750

steve750 Active Member

Any updates mate?

18. dern

dern Well-Known Member

No sorry, been a bit busy. It went to ap but I haven’t ridden it since I got back. Weather looks good this weekend though so will give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steve750

steve750 Active Member

Yes...weather is looking much better!
    What did AP do to it?

20. steve750

steve750 Active Member

Was it a 05/06 blade stand and did it fit ok?