Auto electrics help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RRoss, Jul 2, 2015.

1. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

I'm having problems with the boot lock on my Ford SMax. When first unlocking the car the side and tail lights come on for around 30 sec,and during this period the boot will not unlock if you squeeze the button,but the tail lights blink every time it is squeezed.
    When the lights fade out you can hear something moving within in the lock then it works fine until the car is locked again. Could this be a faulty relay or something more sinister?
    At first I suspected the lock or button but both seem to operate fine once lights go out.

2. blakely.wells

blakely.wells Member

What happens when you press the boot release button on the key when the car is in the state when it won't work?

3. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

Indicators flash but boot doesn't unlock. Works ok when button working too. The noise it makes before it starts working is like the deadlock coming off. If you press the open button on the remote when the car is already unlocked and boot catch working,the courtesy lights come back on and it makes a noise like the dead lock coming back on and boot doesn't open again.
    Strangely tho,you can open the boot with the remote without unlocking rest of car thoo_O

4. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Bad Earth ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. blakely.wells

blakely.wells Member

So the catch is working on demand when using the key button for the boot. And it works fine after the initial wait of 30 sec or so. Tells me it possibly a programming issue. Is it under warranty? We re programme jag modules all the time for silly things like this. Otherwise it's a catch fault.

6. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

Unfortunately not under warranty,all seems to be ok as long as courtesy lights not on. It's like the lock not getting enough power when the lights are on.