Back from NYC.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Si., Oct 28, 2012.

1. Si.

Si. God Like

Just got back about 2 hrs ago. Had a fantastic time, not without a few problems. Firstly, missed the connecting flight to Heathrow from Manchester due to fog, but British Airways pout us on the next flight, 2 hrs later. A boing 747 (i fekin hate flying) and they couldn't have been nicer! plied me and the missus with plenty of wine, and the food was the best i have had on any flight. When we got to JFK, our suitcases where nowhere to be seen, so we where advised to go to the hotel (Midtown Manhattan) and they would follow that night.
    Outside the Airport i got approached by a taxi shark, and he said it was $100 for the cab. I told him to fek off as he was chancing it… an argument in the street began, the missus just walked away in embarrassment… i got it for $60 inc tip. he called me a moro of some sort... The cab firms try and stitch tourists up good style, so you need to be on the ball…
    The suitcases didn't arrive that night, they came the next day, apart from Emily's, which arrived 3 days later! We got told if we shopped for clothes, we would be reimbursed… good stuff! I found lots of receipts on the floor outside good shops on 5th Ave. :D I will put them to BA next week.

The missus and i have been to NYC before, but this time wanted to take the kids. We are not typical tourists in the way of many, we avoid the tourist traps as much as we can, because you get ripped off and you don't tend to see the "real" New York. We took the kids to Harlem, went to the little alleys and quieter streets for the food ( had a fantastic Mexican for $14 for four, on recommendation from a street guy)
    We did a few bits for the kids, Central Park, a night tour of Manhattan, Empire State and Top of the Rock, Natural History Museum, the Central Library and a Carriage ride around the park. Most of the week was visiting the "dodgy areas" speaking to homeless and soaking in the proper old school NYC. We mainly ate street food as the quality is fantastic now, and you can even but a $660 burger from a street vendor, Kobi beef, Lobster, Clams and wrapped in $1 bills! Nuts! :eek: Harlem was a bit scary, as it was last time…lots of gangs but very friendly if not very curt. You just got to give them back what they throw at you verbally… i loved that….good banter. The kids absolutely loved it, and appreciated that what they have here is lucky. You can go to fifth ave, see shops selling a Bronze moulding for $130,000, while some homeless guys sleep in the park opposite, living out of the bins. One guy i got talking to, came from Queens…he was on the streets as he had no family, no money, no job and nowhere to live…. he tried to get a job for 2 years, but no address and no previous employment record, he had no chance. Very well educated too, jus bad luck. Em and i took him for something to eat, he was chuffed to bits. I have taken in excess of 3,000 photos, but heres a selection of a few:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$130,000!

[​IMG]

A wedding we watched in Broadway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A girl working in a clothes store…getting ready for Halloween

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guys name was Curtain. Very odd, but a nice bloke. The kids thought he was ace

[​IMG]

Rockafella Center.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Si.

Si. God Like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The staircase at Tiffany's. Em bought a bit of jewellery for her Mum for Xmas..The staff are well up there own arses, no need to be considering they are just shop workers. Had a laugh with the lift purser, he asked what floor i wanted to go to, the silver, diamond or gold floor. I asked if they had a plastic floor. :D

[​IMG]

View from top of the rock.

[​IMG]

This bloke was talented as hell. took 5 mins to paint a city scape at night using aerosols. Emily bought on for $10…well worth 5 times that. He was Ukranian.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Si.

Si. God Like

[​IMG]

Some guys playing chess in Bryant Park..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another homeless guy, didn't want money, only food for his cats….

[​IMG]

Harry, my lad, outside Tiffanys… he was nearly as bored as me….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Central library, where Ghostbusters was filmed and the Day After Tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Harlem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  4. Si.

Si. God Like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

911 Memorial site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Si.

Si. God Like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grand Central Station

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this bloke was super Talented… He was playing some Mile Davis and Coltrane stuff.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Givover

Givover God Like

Great to have you back and great photos just as well you came today as it looks like there may be a touch of Water coming down them streets later.

7. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Very good si , glad you and your family had a great time ,
    I see your getting the hang of this new camera ,
    Pictures are excellent mate , spot on ,
    Welcome back .

8. Si.

Si. God Like

Cameras fooked Steve…. I went to take some pics of the kids in the Airport on the way home, and there big lines on the exposures…. it needs to go back…but well chuffed with it. Gutted. Looks like the sensors a bit guff.

9. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Oh shit mate , you not had it long ,
    But the pictures you've taken with it
    bloody excellent mate very good
    You should be well pleased

10. thefirebloke

thefirebloke Elite Member

Awesome pics dude!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Oh my oh my, I've loads to learn before I start getting those kind of results Si.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Pleased you got home safe before that storm hit though.
    My cousin is battening down the hatches as I type.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I'm not in a position to say how good a barber you are Mr Norris but you're a fecking good photographer.

And I know a lot of crap ones to know the difference.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Amazing Pics Si never knew you where so good with a camera.

thanks for sharing

• Like Like x 1
  14. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Loving the pics, Si. Thanks for sharing. Looks like an amazing place to visit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Swiss T

Swiss T Active Member

Brilliant mate, just brilliant!

I am going next year (wifes 40th & daughters 21st) for a trip but closer to Christmas.

I will be asking you for tips.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

if it's your first time you will love it. How long you going for? a long weekend as I did or longer like Si did?

So much to do and so little time even if you go for a week. Bare in mind I took my kids who were 5 and 3 at the time. we stopped off on the way to Florida for 3 days.

And as posted Si lucky you got back before the storm hit

• Like Like x 1
  17. Moily

Moily Active Member

Fantastic Pics, Si. I took my camera to NY back in August. Haven't workflowed the shots yet but I know none of them are anywhere near the quality of yours!

One thing I have trouble with as a novice photographer when taking shots on hol is the amount of time needed to set the shot up. I'm ok on composition but have to think about the settings (hence I usually take one on my manual settings and one on intelligent-auto, to compare). I presume when you get as good as you are it becomes second nature and you can be pretty quick taking shots, especially with the family in tow? I don't want the other half to get bored while I'm pratting about trying to get a good shot! Guess I need to practice more with it here rather than just use it on hols.

18. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow them pics look amazing!

19. Si.

Si. God Like

Moily, i just snap away mate. The 5D3 has moveable AF points, so i just frame the shot using those. Landscape or normal, either centre, left, right etc…. I don't spent much time at all, it's as quick as a point and shoot. I use fully manual too, and it's very quick to change the shutter speed or f stop, but i keep it on auto iso for quickness, the 5D has super clean images upto 12,000 iso, so i leave it on auto, as i didn't use a flash at all, there's no need too. I did use a few ND grad filters on some, as the sky was blowing out, but only when the missus was shopping as it takes time to attach them.

20. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

It's all about seeing the picture in your head before you even pick the camera up. I'm not saying it can't be learnt, I can't do it naturally and practice has let me achieve it once or twice and not much more, but I do believe some people are born with it.

bastards