Bar End weights

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Patriotk11, Aug 15, 2024.

1. Patriotk11

Patriotk11 New Member

Hi
    I have managed to lose one of mine while riding from my 2010. No idea where or how but it's gone. Can any one recommend new ones or a set or standard replacements?
    I want them to work rather than be just for look?

What weight is best?

Thank you

2. Patriotk11

Patriotk11 New Member

I've gone for some. 280g

3. gentlybently

gentlybently Active Member

After a lot of experimentation I choose HVMP extra heavy weights. They are 410gm each, including the bolt.
    They eliminate bar vibration almost completely.
    If stopping vibration is your aim, be sure the bar end cartridges are serviceable.
    There are two rubber rings the cartridge floats on within the bar's tube, and they are designed to wear away doing their job.
    When I lubricate my cartridges with red grease, I often find a black goo where the grease and rubber dust have clotted.
    The heavier the weight used the faster the rings will wear down.
    You may not need such heavy weights, I am very sensitive to white finger and avoid touching vibrating surfaces for extended periods.
    Also, front wheel balance is a contributor to vibrations, as well as the engine, obviously.
    If lubricated and fitted properly, the bar end should rotate very freely.
    They need to be fairly tight, HVMP recommend 60 in-lbs torque.
    To remove the cartridges, I modified a clamp by grinding pegs to engage with the locking pins on the cartridge.
    Getting the cartridges out, can otherwise can be a long job!

4. Patriotk11

Patriotk11 New Member

Thank you, I'll have a look for HVMP ones. The ones I just bought will do as a stop gap.
    To be honest I didn't think there was so much involved. I'll have a look at the fitments tomorrow to see the conditions.

Last week I had the nice job of taking the entire back end off and splitting the sub frame just to tighten the rear peg that'd worked loose and that was a mission.

Hopefully after sorting the bar weights all the missions will be over

5. gentlybently

gentlybently Active Member

Most people aren't as sensitive to vibration as I am. My hands used to go so numb, after as little as 20mins, that I couldn't feel the levers.
    My bike is an '07 and the source of the problem was mainly around 5000revs, exactly where it sat on the motorway.
    I attached a very light zip tie to the bolt on the bar end, and on a paddock stand, watched as the revs increased.
    As it neared 5k it would flutter a lot, then after 6k fade away. With the big weights on it hardly moved.