bar vibrations

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by flatstickHRC, May 20, 2011.

1. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

my hands go to sleep alot on my blade, especially right hand as i cant take it off the throttle.

the engine seems quite buzzy, even the tank/seat buzzes a bit at certain engine speed

anyway, has anyone ever tried spray/expansion foam or those little foam things you get in packaging etc inside the clip ons?

im going to try some different grips. probably dual compound progrips or something.

i usually use renthal soft for more feel but TBH i found they felt more buzzy. ive not had this problem on any other bike. everything is tight and the wheels are balanced (took them back to get re checked). TBH i only really noticed this when i changed the tyres though

2. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Best thing for anti vibes is foam grips and steel bar ends or fill clip ons with lead? But I suppose you won,t do that if you,re racing?

3. flatstickHRC

Gonna try some pro grip dual compound grips and fill the bars with foam to see if it makes a differenc

4. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

interesting. I find this on my blade also. Different grips are a start

5. flatstickHRC

some people swear by filling the bars with expanding foam or silicone sealant but some people say it does nothing.

i know offroad we filled bars with foam to keep them warmer in the winter and if you had heated grips they worked better

i think this could work by dampening out some vibration. for example at work if i hit a pipe with a hammer it rings right along it legth but if the pipe is full of fluid you just get a dull thud. i think the handlebar foam could be the same principle.

6. megawatt

I think you will be better with lead mate. The heavier the lump the more more damping you get. Steel bar ends work better than alloy ones, try that first?

7. flatstickHRC

dont fancy filling the bars with lead TBH

ive got a few different bar ends lying around from different bikes.

will try them temporarily and if they work try and get some a similar weight. i had some biketek ones on my r6 before i fitted woodcraft clip ons and they feel heavier than the honda ones

8. megawatt

I have some spare RRW ones you can try if the barends work and you can fit em onto yours as a test?

9. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Don't flame me for this suggestion mate, but first thing is to make sure you're not gripping the bars too tight! :)
    Also, maybe it will improve with mileage? Mine has got 9k miles on it and seems OK in this respect. CBRs are generally a bit buzzy though.

10. flatstickHRC

ive not had this problem on any bike ive had mate, be it a sports bikes or a enduro 450 thumpers so dont think im gripping on to tight.

my race bikes i normally have woodcraft or ses clip ons with no end weights and theyre not as bad as this.

couldnt squirt any sealant in as the bar end captive nut is riveted into the clip on at the top so would need damaging to get it out.

also the OE bar end weight is heavier than the old yam/suzuki etc ones i have lying around anyway

fitted these pro grips though to try. they do seem softer on the outside and the inner layer feels the same as OE so maybe they will work.

a bit bling for me but they only had blue or red in stock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Bats

Bats Active Member

i get this also had it on my last blade 57 under seat exhaust! and my new 2011 model does my head in! 40 miles dead twist grip hand aarrgghh! i dont get it on any other bike???

12. flatstickHRC

Not had a chance to try these grips yet but don't think hey will make much difference TBH.

13. flatstickHRC

tried these grips out today and they DO work!!

not 100% solved but certainly loads better than standard

i would recommend you try some pro grip gel grips if you suffer from numb hands on your bike.

14. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

I know i complained about getting vibrations through the bars before but since getting my suspension sorted the problem has been eleviated somewhat

• Like Like x 1