Battery removed for winter

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Freedom of choice, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

We have no power in the garage at the mo and as the whole lot is being pulled down next year to make way for our new build plans, i cant be arsed with a short term extention lead solution if I can just take the battery off the bike and keep it on optimate somewhere in the house.

Question is will this do any damage to 2011 abs blade. the is no OE alarm fitted and the disc lock alarm has its own batterys. Is it just a case of remove, keep on charge and replace in the spring, job done. Will the Honda HISS system just wake up agian or does it need power over the winter.

Thank you in advance.

2. Givover

Givover God Like

Maybe Peter at Cox Honda could ask a fitter for you.

3. lee711

lee711 Active Member

Took the battery off my 08 for 4 months last winter, left it on the optimate in the house, then put back on in spring with no probs what so ever, didn't affect anything except the clock. Don't think there's that much diffrent between the 08 and the 11 models.

4. Bats

Bats Active Member

Na you will be right mate!

5. ray

ray Well-Known Member

Have to do this every winter due to having no power in the garage. As Lee said, the only thing affected was/is the clock.

6. stevieblade

stevieblade Active Member

Slight thread drift I know, butcan anyone advise as to what is the best way to remove the battery? Getting the seat off on its own seems tricky enough. The 2 triangular panels under the seat - whats the best way to remove these?

Dont want to pull too hard and the thing snap in my hands (so to speak...).

Cheers,
    Stevie

7. rocket

rocket Active Member

if you kneel beside the bike try and get your fingers in behind the little panels about 2/3 of the way back from the tank and pull straight out towards you then unclip the front of panel from the tank cover. theres then 1 philips head screw each side, remove these and the seat will lift up from the front and pull forward to unclip. hope that helps.!

8. stevieblade

Thanks rocket. Shall give it a try. Bloody complicated hondas...

9. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

What will power the alarm once it's battery goes flat? I thought the main battery would flatten after two weeks , just from the alarm???

10. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

I have spoken to the dealer who supplied the blade, no problem with removing the battery only the clock will need to be reset. Clearly if you have an alarm fitted it wont be working whilst the battery is not fitted. Regarding the 2 triangular panels under the seat, take a deep breath and go easy and they should come off ok.

11. stevieblade

Thanks guys. Got the panels off ok. Just ran the finger to the middle as described and popped them off.

On the optimiser now ;)