Beautiful day for it..

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Yorkshire Tyke, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

Probably the nicest day this year so far for a ride out, in North Yorkshire it is anyway. There's loads of people I know going out for a ride but I just find myself feeling reserved about it??

I just say to myself the roads and gonna be full of dickhead slow drivers or these mobile police vans that are being placed everywhere. Yes I know the clean up from a motorcycle accident is horrific for all involved but half of these vans and mobile police stops are being placed miles away from any accident black spots and on perfectly safe straight roads instead that conveniently have some form of cover from view like a slight kink in the road or a hedge or something. (rant over)

Guess what I'm trying to say is I have no urge to ride on the road any more which was the catalyst for all this in the first place. Riding track and after a year getting into racing is the best thing I've ever done in my life but it has ruined the other best part of my life which is riding the road with my mates. You can't get the same buzz on the road and chasing it will only get some do-gooder trying to ruin your fun.

I'm going on tour this year with my dad round Scotland and I can't wait for that but other than that one occasion my blade is gonna be sat in the garage inanimately collecting cobwebs losing money. I keep thinking it's time to hang up my road boots and the only thing keeping the bike for me is the one holiday I do with my dad once a year.

Has anyone else ever had this sort of feeling?? I know robin did and I know what he decided to do....

2. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Dont treat the road as if its a race track and then you might start enjoying it again. If you dont get any pleasure from cruising at 60 anymore then I would say it is time to stop ridding on the road before the inevitable happens

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yorkshire Tyke

Your right fez. I used to enjoy the riding around posing on a sportsbike and stopping at all the bike places and stuff but for me it's actually about riding the bike and bimbling around barely getting through the gears just seems like a pointless exercise to me now. Maybe when the police presence settles down a bit I might feel different, or maybe I'm just having a bad day/crazy thoughts.

#3 Yorkshire Tyke, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Do a Jimbo and track the Blade mate.

If your not feeling the love for it, then maybe it's time to stick to track riding only, and if and when you do fancy road riding again you can decide what to do from then.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Andy

Andy Active Member

Yeah got it agree, the amount of track time you get YT you should be able to go out and enjoy the slower pace of the road.

Even if it's just spending some quality time with your mates

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yorkshire Tyke

I only did 10 trackdays last year mate, still need to get all the fast stuff out of my system lol

7. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

like I already said mate, start to get bits for the blade so you can sell the R6 at the end of the year and race the blade next year..... you know you want to :D :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Lovely day here and working all day :(

9. dave d

dave d Elite Member

Hungover! feeling rough..

10. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I took our lass to Helmsley for lunch on Valentine's Day in the car and was shocked at the state of the road. It looks like the RAF's been using it as a bombing range. Some scary potholes out there.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Jase

Jase Elite Member

I have hardly looked at my s1000rr road bike since I parked it up for the winter on the other hand my blade is a daily attention seeker and the buzz I get on track I know I will never get on the road.

For me last year my highlight on road riding was my European trip and I know this year the bulk of my road riding will be done again in Spain as we're back there again in September .I know my road riding will be limited especially at weekends this year with me racing ,and I would like to think a European trip will be a yearly event and if I just used my bike to do that it is worth having a road bike IMO.

I really enjoy the midweek or Sunday rides that we organise on here and for me those days aren't always about white knuckle rides( even though a lot are):D. I really enjoy the stopping for a brew/ 1 hour lunch having a chat and I find them a very relaxing way to spend a day off maybe that's an age thing.:D as trackdays are a high adrenaline sport you don't really get to chill as your buzzing most of the day and are normally knackered by the time you have finished (ask the firebloke he normally has a kip on route back home):eek:

So I suppose it's what you want from riding bikes for me i enjoy both road and track but yes I do worry about road riding and the speeds we can do and that's the only concern I have .

12. Yorkshire Tyke

I'm same as you jase in that respect, the blade will still be kept for the tour I do every year! There's no point selling it now cos I'd get F-all for it anyway.

13. Jase

Jase Elite Member

Those tours with your dad Mark are memories that will last a lifetime for you and your dad and I envy you as I wish when I was your age I had the chance to do something like that with my dad so for sure worth keeping a road bike just to do that.:D

• Like Like x 5
  14. AshBlade

AshBlade Riding Goddess

I completely and utterly agree with Jase`s last statement... Father, son bonding time absolutely precious.. YT you're a very lucky lad.. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. AshBlade

AshBlade Riding Goddess

YT,I'd sell both my bikes to spend 10 minutes with my Dad...:)

16. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Yup same here can't get the urge for the roads anymore my blade I'll keep might aswell just for my euro tours and Isle of Man etc . Or race it next year and buy summat else for my road miles which in uk I'd say 500 a year getting down South for the 3000 euro miles

17. Yorkshire Tyke

Ok guys i do appreciate my father!! You're makin me out to be a bad son!!! Been out for a ride for last 2 hours and my faith is sort of restored... ish. Still too many police, bad drivers, shitty roads and pheasants but atleast it got me back into it after 3 months. The blade is going nowhere for now!!!

18. thefirebloke

thefirebloke Elite Member

Mark, just wait 'til the weather gets better and warmer and you'll need your roadbike for the fix in between trackdays. You also need to find quieter roads, I can go out on a Sunday and ride roads with no cops on them. One of my favourites is Whitehaven, last year with Jase, Gary, Giv and Andy. Fantastic route with a good cafe and great views across the harbour! Ok it's not a trackday but it comes a close second!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I love road riding.... And would never give up my tours! But the more track time I do, the more I think I really shouldn't be doing what we do on the road.

Problem is I think sports bikes bring out the devil in you!! ;) currently debating wether or not to buy another new road bike, but struggling with justifying it tbh....

R1 is a bit tatty, but she's going strong so might just give her some tlc.... Prob is Dave needs a track bike ;)

Either way, I'd never be without a road bike. Even if its just for an escape, poodle out and the social side :)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Other option which a mate did is trade in his zx10 for a 675 Street Triple R - says best move ever and he loves it to bits, still gets huge grin on his face but risks of plod etc. that bit lower - he has a QS, end can, heated grips and a tail tidy and its mint!