Beginning to despair

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by kpone, Oct 28, 2012.

1. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Because I'm a slack dickhead I started a job yesterday afternoon, convinced I knew how to lay my hands on everything I needed to complete it only to waste precious time and effort searching vainly for my thread lock, which was definitely not where I was certain I'd left it the last time I used it. I had to jump in the car and go and get some.

I'm fortunate that, geographically, I'm two minutes from two of the most well respected and comprehensive motorcycle dealers in the region so a quick wazz down the road wasn't too much of a bind on my day. However, in both circumstances all I got was a shake of the head and a "you'll need to try an auto factors mate." Now, in my heart, I can't help but feel that in amongst the racks full of psychedelic patterned tank pads and a thousand and one different ways to display your tax disc, there has to be room for something on the shelf of a main dealer for something as vital as thread lock.......?

But, oh hum, on the way back toward the village I'd need to drive passed the biggest auto factor in the city so in I go and wander around for five minutes before I find the offending item, then queue in front of the only guy serving behind a ten metre wide counter while some geezer argues that the trade price he's being charged for spark plugs is much more than he was quoted down the road (feck off and buy them there then dick head and exercise what grown ups like to think of as consumer power, rather than the fad for haggling that is now a common substitute for real self esteem). Eventually, another mouth breather appears behind the counter and the chap in front of me asks him for some lock wire.

"What's that then mate?"

"We'll its a wire that you use to stop nuts and bolts from undoing."

"Gav! have you heard of lock wire?"

"Yeah bikers use it to do up bolts."

"Sorry mate, you'll have to try Bridge or SP."

"I did. They told me to try here."

I took pity on this fellow quester and told him how to get to an industrial supply company just down the road as he passed by shaking his head.

I know that not even nostalgia isn't what it used to be but I hanker for the days when a chap in a brown coat with Sellotape repaired glasses on the end of his nose could put his hand on a left hand thread gas mantle stop cock without even breaking eye contact while he served you, had the price ready in his head, without quoting you the ex VAT figure, leaving you to do the mental arithmetic before reaching in your pocket. Plus, wouldn't it be nice to still be able to get all the necessary bits you need for a piece of kit in the place you actually bought it.

Another grumpy thread anyone?

2. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

I'm with you mate- Gone are the days of walking in and asking for a bolt, nut, washer and the dude pulling out a selction to chose from, "that's 50p please mate"

Can you beleave I couldn't get a crush washer for a banjo bolt on my lads pit bike this week. I know their easily available on line, but wasn't a planned replacement on what should have been a ten minute job changing the oil, just happened to noticed a weep from the oil cooler and thought i'd sort it.

Into one major motor factors "don't sell them indevidually mate, this kit of a million different sizes MAY have one, i can do it for £45" I start to actually consider it, as having these sorts of things in the gargae isn't such a bad thing, then I get "but we don't stock them, I'll have to order" Into another, no luck, finally have to spend £7 for a selction box, get it home and then drill the closest one to make it fit.

I'm all up for internet shopping, but FFS I don't want to have to plan my life around ordering real basic stuff when so called "expert shops & dealers" don't stock it.

#2 Dave V, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  3. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

I never use thread lock, got sick of undoing steel bolts, coming out of alloy threads and the threadlock stripping the alloy thread as it came out. I just use a dab of silicone now!

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

That's interesting Megs. When I used to be lumbered with camera repairs I always used to dab the screws in copydex before putting them back in as the heads on the tiny ones mash too quickly if you muller them up tight enough to be firm. I still do it with spectacle screws now.