Benevolent fund?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Garyb, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Now this one is going to be a bit of a speech, I have never been that clever when it keeps keeping words to a minimum so if the tilte has no interest hit the back button now ;)

Well It's that time of night where I Decide I wish to post something pertaining to our forum and members.
    Now I've been thinking "again":rolleyes:
    I can't help but notice how this forum keeps growing in numbers, and how it's members, all be it with a little bit of light banter and pi$$ taking get on, we are never short of expertise in many fields of the 1000rr community.
    So heres tonights angle, for others to think over?

Benevolent fund.

I pay in to one of these at work, we have to date over 500 staff from all departments of their own accord paying in 0.15p of their hard earnt every week.
    The fund usually pays for the little things, a basket of fruit/flowers/chocolates etc, if some one is in hospital? Or longterm sick leave, It's not unheard of for a weekend away to recuperate for a member of staff in difficulties.
    Just that little touch that makes the person feel that little bit better.
    With proper management our fund over the 22 years I have been employed really helps its members.
    I shall keep it brief but I think it has a bearing on the subject.
    A guy I have worked with for 21 years has been poorly recently with liver problems, he like everyone else paid his dues all the time he was employed with the company. He Never had a pot to piss in, but loved his bikes and would do anything to help you.
    We were at work on Wednesday and the usual piss taking banter went on, got a phone call on Thursday morning from said bloke, saying his car had broke down and he was going to be late. 15 minutes later plod was in depot telling us that he was engulfed in a ball of flames as his car exploded whilst he was trying to get it going, he passed away on Friday evening from his injuries.
    What I'm trying to get at here is I've, as in me personally have paid my subs, and in all that time I've put a poultry £171.00. But knowing that as a collective we will be able to give him a good send off at his funeral.
    This is where I'm trying to go with this thread. Who on here would miss a few pence a week to help fellow bikers on this forum?
    I know it all looks good on paper, and a lot of trust has to be sought from the members.
    This is where the forum comes it's own, we have all walks of life on here from legals to..........
    But just imagine, instead of just putting a comment on a thread say GWS to someone on here who's had an off or a bit of bad luck etc wouldn't it be great they receive something from us personally and all for a measly 7 quid a year. Would you miss it?
    If the money is not used, or we feel as a collective too much is in the fund? There a re plenty of charities etc that would benefit from this.

So over to you. What's your views??

P.S. Said it was long winded didn't I :D

2. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

Almost sounds like a ticket to 'try too hard', knowing ya might get some financial aid to the rebuild, lol.
    On a serious note, I dont think it's a shit idea on the whole. Like ya say, a few pence a week? Pah, even I wont miss that and i'm probably the poorest here. Seriously.:(

Shit 'do' about your colleague.

3. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I think its a great idea mate

4. dave d

dave d Elite Member

its a good idea in theory but how would we make it work.

5. bladebhoy

bladebhoy Active Member

sorry to hear about your colleague, seems a good idea in theory.

6. BLAGGERS

Just a thought, we could call it B.R.F.

Blaggers' rearset fund.:)

7. BLAGGERS

It's obviously gonna have to be based on trust.But for a few pence a week i'm happy enough to take a punt.

8. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I'm sure we have some peeps on here that would offer their advice on the legalities?
    Trustees would have to be nominated etc. And I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea? A forum is usually a persons place to pick hints and tips pertaining to the subject of the forum in question, not paying out to benefit people they have never/will never meet? I guess that's the same as work, haven't seen half the staff at our place.
    We will see what sort of response we get on the subject, maybe the mods will have their say?
    P.s yeah gutted for my work mate. 22 years is a long time to work with someone, Probably spent more time with him than my family.

#8 Garyb, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012