Best battery charger

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by burden8tr, Nov 6, 2012.

1. burden8tr

burden8tr New Member

Hi guys just been in the garage to fire the blade up(2007) battery flat been stood a while now due to poor weather and work,removed battery to put un charge,problem was alarm kept going off so had to put battery back on.the charger I have is a big old bugger.wanting one of these new smart chargers,which one is the best to put on to battery whilst still on the bike and to be left on over winter.not worried about price too much just want best for bike,,as we all do.any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Optimate

3. burden8tr

burden8tr New Member

Thanks for the reply feller but which one,1'2,3,4,5,6 there's that many,sorry for been so thick just not my thing.to complicate things further what can-bus fitting

#3 burden8tr, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  4. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

I have Optimate 3+... works great.

I also have an RR7, and they dont have a can-bus system... the optimate comes with a lead that you connect to your battery terminals then stash the other end somewhere convenient (I have mine under the pillion seat)... the Optimate connects to this lead when required.

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

If its not a Lithium battery the 4 is they way to go. Unless you want to use it for the car as well then look at the 5 and the 6. Gel batteries are a lot more particular and there are a few recommendations on here. Lots of different favourite makes championed but the majority swing towards Optimate. I love mine. Proper plug, play and forget.

6. burden8tr

burden8tr New Member

So optimate 4 without can-bus.demon tweeks £49.99 delivered is that a good price.if so ill buy it now from the bay.?or any where better ,where you pro's recommend.want it fast
    Thanks

#6 burden8tr, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

£50 is about right for it. Throw in delivery for that too and it's an okay deal.

8. burden8tr

burden8tr New Member

Thanks to all that replied and thanks for all the help.know what to get now thanks again to all

9. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I have a Optimate and Optimate 3 or 4 and both been great over the years at keeping my bike and kit car battery inn good nick. Only reason I would change is if I went to a Lithium battery

10. burden8tr

burden8tr New Member

Lithium, one step at a time LOL.
    Thanks

11. JM1

JM1 Active Member

12. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Was thinking about myself lol

13. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I have a lithium but am too tight to buy a charger for it. It shouldn't drain much anyway.

14. Fozza

Fozza New Member

I keep mine on an Optimate put it on whenever it's in the garage the battery will last for years.

15. MrB

MrB God Like

I used to keep the bike connected to the optimate when not in use but now since the battery was fried I only connect it every now and again to test/top it up.

16. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

17. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

What happened with the battery Matt?

18. JM1

JM1 Active Member

My 08 battery was fried too, but after about 3 years use and one winter left outside when garage was unavailable

19. rocket

rocket Active Member

i run optimate too and fried my battery on blade before bike was a year old and had 1 fried on my 12r few years before. luckily mr b sorted it quickly for me ;) i now only put on about a week at a time in every month. so far so good.

20. MrB

MrB God Like

Optimate was reporting a good strong battery but when tried to start the bike turned over very slowly but enough to start the bike. Didn't think too much of it, went for a run thought it would charge up a bit, got home tried to start and dead. Checked the charging all OK, connected up to the Optimate again it charged for a short while then clicked out to fully charged. Tried to start the bike and nothing. Did a drop test on the battery and it was no good.

This was on my CBF500 with a 10 month old battery. I had heard of similar problems but dismissed them as my GSXR had been fine whilst connected over 5 years, obviously not all the time but for quite long periods during the winter months.

I put the problem down to the Optimate so now as said connect it up every now and again to top up and test just to be on the safe side.