Bike Camera advice please

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by martinowen, Apr 25, 2013.

1. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I know there is prob a million posts on this but I can't be bothered to go through them all as I'm too lazy!

I'm wanting to get a bike cam but can't afford to spend alot, does anyone know of any cheap makes that are half decent pic and sound quality?
    It doesn't have to be fantastic as I just want to use it for looking at my body/road positions etc to improve my ride plus just have a laugh with it.
    I don't want to do any videos on the net etc its just purely for my own entertainment.

would like something that can be mounted in a few different places and be of reasonable quality for not alot of £££
    Any ideas/experience appreciated

2. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol cheers mate

5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I bought a chinese mini cam off Ebay for a tenner to go on my Blade Mini DV DVR HD SPY Video Camera PC Webcam Cam 1280x960 | eBay

Does pretty good .MOV and supports MicroSDHC (about 6hrs on a 16Gb card) and tapes just about anywhere to the bike.
    Here's a pic of it gaffer taped nicely to my crash bung.

[​IMG]

I also have this, which means i can use a regular camcorder to do the job.
    [​IMG]

I have now ditched the tank mount for this ball joint bracket that I got from some PA speakers. I drilled some new holes to match the HESD cover, which brings the camcorder forward enough for me to get my head lower behind the bubble and also allows me to use my old, slightly larger tank bag.
    I have a load of these which i may modify to fit straight on the bike and sell on the forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#5 Muffking, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  6. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Dont diss the cheap China cams, I have seen some epic footage recorded by them and one you have records at good resolution.

You need to put them on charge whenever you stop as built in battery life way shorter than capacity of memory card - I have cig socket under seat with USB charger connected.

Def do a good number of test trips with it before a big trip / need to use it in earnest.

Also wind noise can be annoying which may be solved with masking tape over Mic. I always add music and drop bike engine noise down. Ask Gary for verdict on this.

7. phantom

phantom Active Member

To add I am very very happy with the drift I was
    Talking about on that thread.

8. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I will confirm the footage is more than adequate. Infact Al, I'm jut on video 2 as I type

And then I'll go back to video 1 ;)