Bike feels wooly, new Ohlins i think

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by PeterT, Aug 9, 2011.

1. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

I have had my bike some 2 months now and have already replaced the fork oil for some high quality 5 weight synthetic stuff, had my suspension set up by Steve Jordan and even with small minor adjustments if feel not quite right.
    The feeling is that the front and rear suspension is totally not connected together, like a link inbetween the two? I can't quite put my finger on it but it does not feel like my 2010 CBR 600 RR which had beautiful suspension. The other problem is that my weight is inbetween two lugs on the rear spring, one being slightly too soft and the other too hard and also it tips the bike forward putting pressure on my wrists.
    So i think a new shock will cure all? Ohlins or Nitron any others worth considering?
    Thanks.

2. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

Maxtons new rear shock and cartridge kit is excellent stuff and cheaperthan ohlins/Ktech and they help tailor the bike more to your specific requirements

3. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Have you tried adjusting the suspension yourself?

4. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Iv gone from a current shape 600rr to a new blade and the riding position on the blade is more aggressive putting more weight on your wrists. Sounds like the guy who set it up for you didn't do a very good job as every review iv read in magazines on the fireblade all rate the standard suspension for road riding

5. flatstickHRC

PeterT what sort of age/milage has the bike done?

Modern stuff should last a good 15000 miles before it needs a rebuild.

I know what you mean about the front and rear feeling a bit disconnected. Slowing the front rebound and softening the front comp made it much better.

6. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I've just re-read the OP and can't make sense of it TBH...

"The feeling is that the front and rear suspension is totally not connected together"
    > Those are the symptoms riders of 1980s bikes used to complain of.

"The other problem is that my weight is inbetween two lugs on the rear spring, one being slightly too soft and the other too hard"
    > Preload doesn't affect the soft/hardness of the suspension, just the height.

"tips the bike forward putting pressure on my wrists."
    > It is a sports bike after all, but you can adjust this feeling with the front and rear preload, however you need to make sure you retain an appropriate amount of sag.

If the above makes sense to you, fair enough.
    If it doesn't, I think you should look closer at your stock suspension and not potentially waste money on a new shock which you may not need.

7. Givover

Givover God Like

Remember Honda have spent millions trying to find the right balance (Road) if it's a track bike then perhaps some one like Maxtons will sort out .I have had 2 new blades 08 and 11 and like you all don't mind giving it some but i find it fine (Better the devil you know)!

8. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Track riders generally don't complain about too much weight on the wrists ;) :)

9. flatstickHRC

Yep agree with the above

If the bike is not high milage/worn out then The standard stuff is more than good enough for road and trackday riding

The thing with ohlins and the like is if they're not set up properly they're a nightmare.

10. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

The bike has 2500 miles on it. It is standard. I have spent a few hours trying different settings on the suspension and it just does feel weird? I have recently changed the tryes to Corsas and the back ratio is now a 55 which really changed the handling initially for the better as now it needs less effort to turn it into corners. I have checked the entire swing arm pivots and linkages and all are good appart from some freeplay in the upper shock bushing which apparantly are all like this? The rear sag is now set at 18mm on the hard side or i can achieve 27mm on the softer side. Front sag is set to 25mm.

11. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Sounds like you know what you're doing there. Don't forget simple stuff like tyre pressures. Problem still seems strange, but it's really difficult to interpret on the internet and I don't think there will be a single magic answer, just trial and error. Sometimes you just have to get on with it and ride the thing :)

12. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Tyres are 34psi front and 36 psi rear. I think i am trying to compare the handling with my 600RR which was very neutral and loved to turn in. I will rip the steering bearings out to check these as Honda seem to use very little grease nowdays.

13. flatstickHRC

Wow you must be very light.

18mm sag is way to high at the back. Ideally you want 25-30mm on the back and 30-35mm on the front.

That must feel really unstable.

Going of what you say your settings are try fully backin if the rear preload back to 27mm and take a couple of turns off the front preload to get it nearer to 30mm sag

What is your comp/rebound set like? As standard I font the rear decent but the front way to fast. Slow the front down by adding 1 turn of rebound

14. flatstickHRC

I think that's a blind alley.

If your headbearings were away you would feel a knocking when co
    Ing to a stop or nothing when turning the bars lock to lock. It's usually only felt at a certain point in the steering lock.

If you running 18mm sag with rider that's your problem.

15. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

I am 13 stone. fork preload is 4 turns in , compression is 1 3/4 out, rebound is 2 turns out.
    Rear is compression 1 3/4 out, rebound is 2.5 turns out. Road riding only with no pillion.

16. flatstickHRC

standard front

comp is -2 turn from full in
    rebound -2 1/4 from full in
    preload +6 turns from full soft

standard rear
    comp -2 from full in
    rebound -2 1/4 from full in
    preload pos 4 on ramp

so you have stiffened the front up a little. i went 1/2 turn softer than standard. you can afford to slow the front rebound more than you have. 1 1/4 from full in is somewhere near. I've seen some settings where the rebound is full in on these bikes.

your rear settings look about right.

you have gone slightly harder and slightly quicker on rebound. (1/4 of a turn will make very little difference on standard suspension anyway)

i left the rear end standard on mine but it could maybe do with slightly faster rebound.

i would suggest re checking your sag - aim for 30-35f 25-30r and give it a turn or front rebound.

17. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Thanks, i will get the gauges out again tonight.

18. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

Is the back end of the bike not like a pogo stick.... i am not an expert but your stroke in rear rebound is to long and will create a kind of pogo effect and the bike wil sit down in the corners and release with to full a stroke as if the bike is lifting up at the rear

19. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Check your steering head bearings as well?

20. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Front end is now off, steering bearings are fine, now changing to a 7.5 weight oil