bit of career advice guys.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by rocket, Jan 22, 2014.

1. rocket

rocket Active Member

found out yesterday that were facing redundancies again and this time its big. 2/3 rds of us going this time. getting a bit fed up with this. i been there 22 years and for 16 of those been doing electronic test engineering. i,ve done a few evening courses but never went to uni so pretty much self taught. all my family can pretty much turn there hands to anything and always been in the engineering industry. i,m thinking maybe become a qualified sparky if i,m the one to go. anyone in the industry and whats it like. do you have to be niceic qualfied now or is there other governing bodies too. anyone recommend any courses. always wished from a young age i went down this or gas / plumbing route but just got stuck in my ways a bit.

2. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Another option to 'think about' to keep some income is to take your HGV licence on the quiet and have that to 'fall back on' if needed - not for everyone and sounds like you would want a much more hands-on role.

Its not mega cheap to get your licence (think about £1,500 all in) but it does not expire and is quite quick and you should be able to fit it in round your current work.

I say keep quiet as it may make you one of the 2/3 to go if they thing 'well he's got a fall back job' - not that they should use that as any decision making activity.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - sure others in the trades you mention can help you out with some good advice.

3. rocket

rocket Active Member

yes anyone else with tips. would really like to get qualified as a sparky. been dong an equally technical job for 16 years and have pat test experience. just need to get some more strings to my bow lol

4. Stumoores

Stumoores New Member

Get into plc's and instrumentation, it's mega bucks. House bashing is ok but there's lots of cowboys out there who have done a 3 week course.

5. Givover

Givover God Like

Strange that you say that Al as around Burtonwood ( The old Airbase ) McAlpines are building massive Transport Warehousing Facilities and they are jammed packed with new Trucks .This along with the other Distribution Centres in Warrington means that Drivers are in short supply this mainly stems from about 15 years ago or more when the Government changed the rules and stopped the fast track to HGV class one with meant that you had to take the class two pass first and then continue at your expense onto the Class one Artic .Due to the high cost of training no one bothered and now there is a a Driver shortage ( Bricklayers ) will defiantly be next .Hanson have just reopened a brickmaking plant due to the high level of new house builds starting I really can't see there are masses of skilled bricklayers still sat at home awaiting the next building boom.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stumoores

Stumoores New Member

They're sat at home in Warsaw waiting !
    If your of a technical nature and have an enquiring mind, I can't see a driving job floating your boat. Having said that, beggars can't be choosers.

7. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

I think you can get in as an improver, sort of working toward full qualification, while getting hands on experience of the job. And pay. You could do the tickets part time. Lot's of collages do the courses. I'm really not sure tho how it all works. I may have the wrong end of the stick.
    Good Luck
    Mike.

Try this site http://www.jib.org.uk/

#7 Mike07, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  8. graemewalker

graemewalker Elite Member

Then your drivers cpc on top of that digi card