Blipping on downshifts.....

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by dessp2, Jun 22, 2014.

1. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

What's the general consensus on this? Is there any reason to do it anymore other than sounding good? I have a 2012 blade with slipper clutch so what's the need other than habit? Anyone else still do it?

2. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Have to do it on mine.. No slipper mind not sure if that has any relevance though..

3. djmrmagic

djmrmagic Active Member

It sounds good!

• Like Like x 1
  4. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Buy a sigma slipper totally amazed I thought the blade standard one was good million times better and the noise

5. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Blipping the throttle is to enable the input and output shafts to run at the same speed making a down shift easier. Slipper clutch is to stop the rear end from locking up

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr_Spinalzo

Mr_Spinalzo Active Member

Try Going down from 6th full flat to 1st at Hockenheim parabolica to hairpin without blipping ;-)

7. scooby

scooby Elite Member

it's a very good technique to know,and even though i have a slipper i still do it,keeps the bike a lot more settled on downshifts,especially when you going 2 or 3 gears down.slippers are great,but unless it's working perfectly then you will still unsettle the bike a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wedgiewolves#223

Had mine 6th to 2nd and 1st by mistake straight as amazing I used to blip don't feel the need to anymore

9. Si.

Si. God Like

Always do it, dunno why....

10. wedgiewolves#223

I sometimes still for habit do it

11. steampig

steampig New Member

Don't mean to sound thick but what's blipping?

12. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I do it if making progress or on track, or if I want to make sure cars have noticed me at junctions ;)

13. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Giving it a few revs before releasing the clutch when changing down.

14. steampig

steampig New Member

Thanks ill try that next time I'm out

15. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

I don't, all though I have tried it, but I find it hard blipping it and braking at the same time.... A good slipper clutch will sort out all the hassles of down shifting 2 or 3 gears at the same time....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rented

Rented Active Member

I would tend to disagree about it sorting out all the hassles of downshifting. Blipping and slipping are different and are both tools at your disposal. Personally, I never just dump a slipper clutch even though in theory you can and I know people that do.

Secondly, if slip the clutch, you're going to be speeding up the engine as well as slowing the bike without using the rear brake. It can help to make the rear end get a bit slidy on corner entry (especially on my MY12). If you blip, you avoid that and it can help the bike stay in line, if that is what you want.

Fundamentally a slipper clutch is an assist. You could do the same thing with a standard clutch, you just have to be more careful to avoid lockup. Using a slipper clutch should not be an excuse to not blip, in my opinion, and I am by no means an expert.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

If you have a proper slipper clutch than you can dump it from 6 to 1st, not problems at all, My last slipper clutch was a suter and it would stay at 7000rpm, until the engine caught up and would drop with the engine, only difference is, is that you have nearly no engine breaking and all stopping is on the front brakes, on an endurance race we needed to do a pad change as the brakes wouldn't last the 8hrs.
    I know people that do blip and people that don't, personally I don't and think it's more of a matter of preference, just like racing and using your rear brake...

• Like Like x 1
  18. bladerunner2010

bladerunner2010 Active Member

I am sure Arthurbikemad will back me up on this one, The "Blipping" scenario stems from when most racing bikes were two strokers, TZ yams, Morbidelli/Minarelli and the likes, they all ran on premixed two stroke petrol which meant you had to mix it yourself and fill the tank as the bike had no oil pump, these bikes had to be blipped and not just rolled off for downshifts to keep the revs up and stay on the throttle therefore keeping the motor lubed, otherwise it would be game over with a nipped motor.
    I blip on most downshifts on my bike as it keeps it in the power and sounds great when done right

19. ozzer76

ozzer76 Member

I asked if the standard 2012 had a slipper to someone when I bought mine and they told me no (not the dealer to be fair). Am I right in thinking it does then?

20. scooby

scooby Elite Member

i'm pretty sure it will have a slipper clutch,most 1000cc bikes do these days,but they might call it an anti hopping clutch (bmw).

like i said i've always blipped,i find it keeps the bike more settled at the rear,especially when your hard on the brakes.