Blood Bikes NorthWest.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Garyb, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Does/has anyone else done this line of volunteering before?

What are your thoughts or comments on these guys & girls 'if any'?

BBC Radio Lancashire have been running an advertising campaign this month, they are on the look out for more volunteers to help with what is turning out to be an amazing service.
    It's not all about the blood either, they help out with various tasks relating to the NHS ,care givers, milk for premature babies etc.

Link Northwest Blood Bikes Lancashire & Lakes | About Us

Anyway, being the community spirited sort of bloke I am it's something I've fancied doing to pay that little bit more back into the pot, since I got two wheels.

Yep, logistically it could be a bit of a PITA delivering on a fireblade, but, with the Rentec on and a box I'm sure I'd have enough space until I pass some form or advanced rider scheme so I can use one of theirs. 'It's not compulsory' be fun on the blade though ;)
    Other than that, it's just a quick assessment. Make myself available for a minimum of 24 on call nights a year and I'm all ready to roll.

Thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 5
  2. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Good on ya Gary! [​IMG]

3. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Good on you for volunteering

4. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I did not think they were ready to roll so to speak - I've spoken to them a few times but thought it was compulsory to use one of their bikes

I may look into it - my blades better than your blade as it has ventura bag lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

They have been running now for 32 months Al.
    Just done their 10,000th response.
    Covering Fylde Preston Chorley Accrington & Burnley.

6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Good on you Gazman.

We've got a similar scheme here. I spent some time with one of the riders at a shoot once and they have the most ratty Pan Europeans you could ever see. Rust, rotten alloy, the works, but this geezer was over the moon with them. Started first time, every time, great 'hide away' fairing for crap weather, loads of power and comfy for hours and hours.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I think it's a worthy cause, and also a good excuse to get out on the bike. :)

Seems your more than welcome to ride your own bike, if it fits the purpose? to ride one of their bikes you need an advanced rider certificate, on obtaining this you are then trained to ride their liveried bikes, or shitters if Kens post is anything to go by :eek:

Just Lifted from their web page.

*All motorcycle riders are welcome to join us. As with everything, there are hoops to jump through. If you are willing to use your own bike then it obviously has to be roadworthy and capable of carrying whatever the hospitals want us to take. The hospitals are aware that there are limits as to what we can carry on a motorcycle. You will also have to undergo an assessment ride with one of our selected trainers.
    If you already hold an Advanced rider certificate, or obtain one, you then become eligible to ride a liveried dedicated blood bike.
    NWBB L&L transports blood, samples, small medical equipment, patient notes, various paperwork between your local hospitals from 7:00 pm to 2:00 am Monday to Thursday, 7:00 pm Friday to 2:00 am Monday and Bank holidays. However over the weekend it is split into a day shift and night shift, 12 hours each. The minimum commitment is just TWO shifts a month or 24 shifts a YEAR that’s all!*

Anyway, I'll let you know all how I get on after my phone call later on today. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

To be fair to them, I think the condition of the bikes is an underfunding issue. Another one of those 'Yes, they do good works, but we could really do with another Trident missile submarine to wave at people (no offence, Pinkster)'.

But then, I don't understand politics very well...

9. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

I looked into this e few years ago. The problem I found is that my insurance company would not cover me as the vehicle was being used for work, even though it is a voluntary

Check with your insurance company first. My company wouldn't give me a policy so I would have had to cancel and get a policy else where!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Good advice Gary, I shall look into it.

I would like to hope it's just the same as the cars, insure it for business use, and that would cover me?
    I really hope it's as simple as that, but when mentioning the word 'insurance' it seldom is :(

11. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Just a quick update.

Going off the advice from Garyauk my first phone call was to my insurance broker.

They Phoned me back at dinner time, and the result if I'm honest is as good as it gets.

They have spoken to my insurer Equity Redstar, and they state that they have no problem with altering my policy to take into consideration my role as a volunteer blood biker during the insured year and it will be a pleasure to do so.

The price of this change?
    Nothing. Not even a hidden admin charge, so long as I don't go twatting round on pony express jobs.

A good result, and a very useful heads up from Gary, as apparently. Not all insurance companies will do this.
    So,thanks again for the heads up mate.

Phone call number two.

Had quiet a lengthy chat with Paul at NWBB and if I'm honest I'm inspired with confidence to swell their ranks by one more. 'They haven't met me yet ;)'
    I explained the bike I ride and how I manage to tour without any issues with luggage. his only concern was ascertaining it wasn't a Harley :eek:

Anyway, They're having a meeting in Leyland on the 25th of this month, and I've been invited along to get a feel for it all and to meet some of the other team members, and then onto Planning the dreaded riding assessment, mentioned also I'd be keen to take my advanced and eventually use one of the 14 dedicated bikes they have at their disposal.
    In the meantime, just need to ping some details to the chairman, they seem as keen as me, they have a shortage in my area at present covering Preston, Blackpool, Clifton etc with a possible odd shoot up the M6 to the lakes.

So, that's where I'm at for the now.

Thanks for reading, I'll let you know as it develops.

• Like Like x 5
  12. steve b

steve b Active Member

good luck with it all gary good on you for volunteering

• Like Like x 1
  13. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

A little update to my progress.

Just a little update on my progress.
    Had a telephone conversation last weekend kind of like first interview making sure I ticked the boxes.
    That went well "they still haven't met me ;)"
    Application form emailed to me, all ticked filled in, copy of driving licence, application form, donation sent to cover admin & jacket returned.
    Next step is a Q&A sheet pertaining to carrying bloods/hazardous shit etc, should be okay with that done my COSH recently so hoping for a full house.
    Next step will be my riding assessment "hope it's dry" ;)

Then a bit of an introduction to the places I'll be serving and hope to be under my own steam by the end of February.

Keep you posted. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

If you're looking for contributions to get you started...

I could manage a pint.:D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Don't think I'll be covered for carring supermans blood?
    But I'll keep you in mind :)