Bloody august again

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Freedom of choice, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Its August, the sun is shining, the roads are dry and ripe for ride outs with friends or just a quick blast on your own. You would have thought so but….

August is the worst month of the year for me. More than half my department are on annual leave, and who can blame them, they have children at school and it’s a short six week window for some much needed family R&R that complies with the “no you won’t take kids on holiday during term time police”. I signed off their holiday forms and good luck to them, however……

August is also the month when every government, plc or private customer sends out their tenders for business the following year, they send them out before they go on annual leave and demand them back when they return. When the f$&k do they think everyone else takes their leave.

So, I have less than half a department, my director on leave, a CEO that’s disappeared to his home country and I am left holding all the babies. Everything is compounded with our European head office staff disappearing on holiday for most of August. This is also the time of year when we have a complete changeover of intern workers meaning the folk we have trained bugger off and we get a new load of complete numpties who have no idea what or how we do things.

It’s always the same but for some reason this year is much worse than normal meaning I pulled another all nighter last night and will most probably do the same tonight, I feel like I am drunk but haven’t had a drink since the weekend. It’s not so bad as I can work in my home office some of the time or lock the door in my head office and take a few cat naps now and again but all the same its hard on the body and soul and the inevitable sleep deprivation mistakes will be made.

I am paid well enough and have been doing this shit for my current employer for the last eighteen years but am starting to worry that my high blood pressure and possible early demise to the afterlife is just not worth it, what good is a fantastic pension and money in the bank if you don’t get to enjoy it. I know L feels the same and is always on my back at this time of year, I tell her 60 and I am done. Seven and a half years more years that’s all………Seven and a half more years of this……that’s a big pill to swallow. I know I will feel completely different come September.

I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problems or is it just me and the industry I work in.

2. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

It's just you Freedom.

Everyone else loves their work.

:)

3. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

I love my work so much i'm at it just now:(

4. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I've got 37.5 years left dude.... If it makes you feel any better :(

5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I had planned to retire at 55/60 but it ain't going to happen. I suspect I will always be working, right up to the day I depart this mortal coil. Not voluntary, just the consequence of modern life, and an ever moving retirement age.

6. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

Its nice to know that some management jobs are a struggle too!!!

7. Givover

Givover God Like

You lot down South will know about August at the weekend when the Hurricane comes in .
    You will be very lucky if it steers away to France .:eek:

8. Freedom of choice

Pete – Of course you are, say that looking in the mirror.

RRoss – you obviously didn’t watch the debate between Salmon and Darling the other night, if I was you I would be sleeping less than me just now.

James –Yes it does….. you must have had a bloody tough paper round mate. We must meet up for a “couple” of beers soon; I need to let of some steam. Let me know when you are in town early September.

Barstewardsquad – 50 was my life goal but a divorce put paid to that hence the ten year extension of the rat race.

Tyke – they all are, intelligence is a curse, and I am telling you. Have you ever seen a road sweeper unhappy? By chance I got talking to a slightly down syndrome fella clearing plates in a motorway service area a couple of weeks ago, he was the happiest person I think I have ever spoken to bar none. Not a care in the world, ok, the poor bloke is not going to live to make old bones but he was happy with his lot.. Can we say that about our lives and careers....

9. Freedom of choice

Water of a ducks back mate, sorry to hear about your spill, are you healing up nicely?

10. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

I cant for sure. I used to be aspirational! Now.. if I wasn't racing, guarantee you, I'd be stacking shelves.

And that's by choice.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

I try not to worry about things that might never be,and i'm not a religous man,but i pray that come the end of September we can all look forward to a brighter future,still as part of Great Britain,never knowing what mad Ecks Plan B was. I don't even think he knows what it is:D
    United we stand,Divided we fall,it's a big NO from me:)

12. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Hearing you loud and clear Freedom, and know where you are coming from matey.

I was also going to be done and dusted at 50......best laid plans and a redundancy see to that.

Took a complete 180 degree career change, absolutely loved it but could not make enough dosh.

Back to what I know best for the last 4 years, often working 70+ hours a week, surrounded by varying degrees of competence from excellent to just about able to dress themselves in the morning, and taking all the flak and responsibility, and now set the bar at 60 to go, pipe dream maybe but you have to aim somewhere.

At the end of the day, I have my family, my health and some sanity, the average working man can ask for no more really, many far worse off than me, but at the end of the day mate, I often question what it all means and if I will ever see the rewards of the hard slog.

Hang on in there, bright days are always just around the corner. Just think of all those family guys coming back in a few weeks, looking all stressed after 2 weeks of 24/7 childcare :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

What you mean "had" still bloody got it..... I'm back in town full time now fella in Whitehall so always about these days. So happy to meet for a pint sometime! Let me know whenever.

14. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

it's busy busy here for me. lots to do before I go away for a week from Sunday. Then will have loads of work to catch up on when i'm back. not time to scratch my ass at the moment