BMW 530,535 or 640 grand coupe

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Great Guy, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

I am going to change car in the New Year. I have narrowed it down to the above 3. Which one would you recommend ? It will be a one year old one, can't afford new! In the past I have always had Lexus. I quite fancy a change.
    What are servicing costs like?
    What about reliability?
    Thanks.

2. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Hi I am the same boat looking at the 640d coupe a lot of car for the money especially if one with all the extras on I've comfort seats etc,,..and plenty of go.....however like all cars the more expensive the more depreciation but that's cars , you think new 75k plus 18mths to 24mths old roughly 30k a lot of car.....I currently have the E350 coupe great car so may keep new version out in 2017 and if it looks like the new c coupe could be the one however I like the Jag F type R ......hmmmm....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Apologies servicing BMW would average out £600 every year depending on mileage, coolant change auto gear box service at some point could push over 1k ....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mpower

Mpower New Member

Go and road test a 5 and a 6 series, both completely different type of cars. Personally the 6 is my favourite, really comfy yet sporty car and in my opinion one of the better looking bmws. The way they drive is superb and can easily clock up some mega miles.
    You'll get a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty (from the date when it was new)
    Common issues on the diesels at the moment is the engine intake system coking up with carbon deposits, dealers are doing walnut blasting under warranty to clean out the engines and replace what's necessary. Also EGR valves and EGR coolers are very common. But overall pretty reliable.
    There's a recall out to replace the air conditioning condenser at the moment on 5s and 6s so if the air con does not work check whether that's been done.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Looked at a 535 Diesel Touring when I bought the E Class Merc E350 V6 Diesel.

BMW a better Drivers Car, but overly hard suspension and a mate who works for a BM Dealer said quite a few Family Guy's had sold on newly purchased Sport models as their Kids were getting regular Car Sick due to the hard ride!

The BM is a quicker car ultimately but the Merc is a nicer place to be and only marginally slower!

Far less 'Chavvy' too! :D

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

I think a lot of kids are sick in cars because they plug in there I pads and don't take in what's going on around them.

• Agree Agree x 2