Boiler insurance

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kevin1, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

British Gas (Homeserve) want £167 for boiler insurance. I'd love to know how the arrive at that figure. My car insurance is about £300 and the amount they could have to pay out is astronomical if I made a claim. The most BG as going to payout is the cost of a new boiler and a call out charge, £1500 tops.
    £167? Joke.

2. Gilesy

Gilesy Elite Member

i wouldn't bother.. I have never had boiler insurance and never needed it (I'm now touching lots of wood right now)... another one of life's risks worth taking in my opinion :)

3. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I agree, it's a big hit to take.
    We have the boiler breakdown & the house electrics included.
    £389 for the year.
    That does include annual service.

Not sure on prices though for trades to come out as an emergency call out? Then it's all plus parts & fitting.
    Last year while I was away touring one of the kitchen sockets started to buzz, Mrsb phoned them up, they was there same day changed a double socket that had seen better days, the boiler heat exchange unit went tits the next week.
    So for my peace of mind, I'll not quibble so long as I'm getting the service.
    For those two jobs alone I'm sure would have exceeded the yearly fee?
    Peace of mind while your little lady sits home alone....priceless.

4. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Read the small print......I think you,ll find that if the boiler is more than 10 years it,s deemed obsolete and in that instance you will cop for the full bill. After maybe 6-7 years they mention that the parts are getting hard to buy, then at about 10 years they grumble if they need to replace anything. But they,ll happily take your monthly payment . I run a Potterton and a boilermate upstairs and they,ve already indicated that I,ll be thrown to the wolves when they go pop . Good luck .....you,ll need it

• Like Like x 2
  5. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

While the parts are available from their supplier they, ll repair it .

6. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

That's very true Haggler.
    Ours reaches the magical 7 years old in February 2015.
    I've been taking an interest in the advertising running of late for a new one, as you correctly state.
    It's getting past its life, and at present there's a nice man on the telly who wants £500 for a deposit, and what is essentially 3 years insurance to complete the payment.

You can be sure as sure, I will continue to read the small print.
    Because as the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true? It usually is.

7. Givover

Givover God Like

My boiler was new when the house was built nearly 30 years ago ...gulp!

8. Gilesy

Gilesy Elite Member

Same boiler for me and the house was built in 1980!

9. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Replaced our oil boiler a couple of years ago. We also had to relocate it due to changes in regs and it cost over £3,000 all in.

When I used to have a gas combi boiler I used a local guy who was recommended to me. He did the annual service and a couple of repairs over the years, and somehow never had problem finding bits even though the boiler was over 10 years old. He also never insisted on me have one of the magnet things fitted or a power flush.

10. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Parts are freely available for most Boilers way over 10 years old, this is just BG spewing Bollox as per.

Local Guy is far cheaper but obviously could never guarantee same day service as Gary states so if this is key then you will need a bigger outfit, however there are alternatives to BG.

11. Si.

Si. God Like

Yup, we have homeserve ins. £150 per year that covers everything, inc pipes, taps and boiler. if that figure is just boiler, your getting ripped mate.

Never used it at all, but we have a dripping tap in the bathroom, and i'm going to get the fookers to fix it. It's only a washer that need replacing ...pence) but i'll get them out to replace it as it is covered.

the premiums will probably increase mind.....

12. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

I had BG cover, absolute jokers passing a problem between them and dyno rod (now part of them, look after non heating pipes I recall)

A total of six visits, for a leak on a joint that's was obviously there for some time and visible when the boiler cover was off.

Get the appeal, but wouldn't let BG in my house again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Had BG cover, boiler reached 20 years and started to play up. They replaced various parts but it still kept cutting out, finally decided to fit a complete fan assembly, next morning went into the kitchen and found it totally steamed up.

The fitter had not replaced the base gasket and it was spewing carbon monoxide, turns out the gasket kit is not available as OEM and they will not fit pattern parts in case of liability.

After a rather nasty complaint they offered a grand off a new boiler, so basically they valued my families life at 1k as they could have killed us.

Told them where to stick it.

14. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Insurance on most things are a rip off. Unless you need it legally it's not worth the money.

My boiler is 14 years old. If I was paying £150 a year insurance I would have cost me more in that time than upgrading to a combi.

Much like sofa insurance, Tv extra insurance. And why I love Costco so much. Both for work and home white goods, TV's 5 year warranty

Only thing I would have insurance for is car, bike house and contents

• Like Like x 1
  15. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Anything that age, is not full of electronic stuff, so less to go wrong. But whenever u get it seviced they will always say ' difficult to get parts for that boiler now' It may not be as efficient as a modern boiler, but £2000 for a replacement is a lot of gas.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Very true that!! I get mine serviced through British Gas home care every year and that's exactly what they say to me.

17. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Got mine with EON, had major problems with boiler and pipework earlier this year. Cost of repairs including 2 new rads, pump, valves and lots of other bits was close on £1500 ! So in my case the £17 per month spent has been worth it.

Just as a point of interest I have just bought a 2nd property (for rental) and have done a Gas Service contract with British Gas for £13 per month, but went through 'topcashback' and have got £40 cashback from them .

Also go through that site for general insurance's inc bike/car/home etc.

If you are not a member of topcashback, it's worth joining and if you send me your email address I get £10 for reccomending you to the site !

#17 rewy..rr, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  18. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

If you have an old boiler chances are it will last forever, apart from the thermocouple, boiler insurance is probably not required. Newer condensing boilers have more technology in them and fault finding is much more difficult, with a culture of just swapping parts until success is achieved, not a great policy but bearable if you aren't paying the bill.

• Like Like x 2