Booking.com scam

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Boothman, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

This was posted by one of the guys on the Triumph forum and thought it worth sharing here…..

OK, I just thought I'd share this you, so nobody gets caught out. Now like maybe a high percentage of you out there, I use Booking.com to search for hotels.
    This morning I get an email from a B&B I'm staying in, in August stating that there was a problem with my credit card being accepted, and if I didn't take action now this might result in my booking being cancelled. Right away I thought this is strange, as I've never had this problem before, and anyway I always pay at the property and never use my card to pay for the B&B.
    So not clicking on the link provided, I went into the Booking.com website, and sure enough there was a message from the property to say that this message was NOT from them.
    I've since found out the following info

The company, which is one of the biggest hotel and holiday websites in the world, has not itself been hacked. Instead, criminals have tricked their way into the administration portals of individual hotels that use the service.

So please be careful with what you open, and Yes, I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but to just be mindful that these moronic idiots will stupp to whatever level they need to go to, to get your money.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Thanks for the info, I always use Booking.com so will keep a check on any future bookings

• Friendly Friendly x 1