Br broadband extender 610

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Scott, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Scott

Scott Active Member

They've sold out so the email says. Are they that good ? I can get wifi in garage but sometimes not often it buffers a bit. Are they worth it while on special offer. Thanks

2. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Personally mate its a waste of time, you need the unit to be in range of teh existing wifi signal so it can regen it.

Go and check out powerline extenders, much more usable than that device. A base unit connects via ethernet cable to your unit, then put the next and subsequent units anywhere on your ring main. The romote units can be wired/wireless or mixture of both. Only caveat is that you have to be on the the same ring main not on surge type block or islolated ring.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I use powerline WIFI extenders, Scott. TPlink not the BT ones. My house is made of Uranium or something so radio waves can't get from one room to the other...

I have a non WIFI one plugged into an extension lead in my office that's WLAN'd to my PCs and only lose about 4 or 5 mbps on the speed in the room that the router is in, even though the instructions specifically say not to use extensions. I have a WIFI one plugged into the furthest socket in the building away from the router so what signal I get is, at least spread across the footprint of the building and I can get usable signal well into the garden from that, and I've recently put another one in the garage to extend the range out there too. That one, I admit, can, on occasion, be a bit twitchy, but I suspect the power in the garage isn't as clean as it could be.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the results from the ones I have, so as a technology, it does the job for me, but I have no experience of the BT ones to compare to for you.

4. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

I have one for my Sky box so I can plug my LAN cable into it for my Sky Plus. Superb idea and no cables running everywhere.

Just got an EX2700 (Netgear?) as one of the lads in work brought one offshore as being housed inside a metal structure the coverage in the rooms can be shite. £24 new but got a used unit for a tenner.

5. Scott

Scott Active Member

Kent that was far too technical for me lol. I have no idea about rings etc.
    thanks everyone. Sounds like for the few times it does it, it's not worth getting one unless I get a cheap one and just have a go. Bit like ur deal exuptoy

• Like Like x 1
  6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Here you go mate

http://www.ebuyer.com/661833-tp-lin...der-starter-kit-twin-pack-tl-wpa281kit-v3-uk-

Plug your router into one of these and once it recognises the WIFI one you can plug it into any socket that's on the same ring as the one connected to the router and it will expand both your wired network and your wireless one. You can carry the WIFI one around from room to room and just plug it in where it's needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

That's the puppy, they work like a dream, I get 39meg wired at my BT Hub, and 37meg wireless in my garage

Even cheaper on Amazon

• Like Like x 1
  8. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

Also, remember to plug the D link into the mains and not an extension lead.

9. sinewave

sinewave God Like

10. Scott

Scott Active Member

Wow they are expensive thingys

11. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Bit OTT for my needs but good value for a 2 Kilometre range!

12. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Maybe Vodafone should invest in a few those to improve thier current shite service.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Was a Voda Customer for 13 years but their service in my Village was Wank at best.

Not looked back since defecting to 02 via Tesco Mobile.