Brake hose steel fitting corrosion

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by sync24, Jun 23, 2011.

1. sync24

sync24 Active Member

Like [I expect] everyone else on this forum I take a lot of pride and joy in my 09 ABS Repsol and I do everything I can to keep it in tip/top condition. There is are just a couple of things that bother me which I hope that perhaps someone can advise me what to do.

Firstly, I have noticed that all my all my brake hose fittings ETC around the bike [especially on the left hand side around the rear set] have got suface corrosion and now look tatty [IMHO] - I guess this is from riding a good few miles last year in the so called summer which involved quiet a bit of rain [I was commuting to London everyday].

Secondly - I managed to scratch my swing arm last year after the bike did not go up on it's paddock stand properly - there is a couple of scratches which are noticeable and I wanted to see if there was anyone who could suggest on if it's possible to perhaps polish them out or something?

Anyone got any ideas on what to do about the hose fittings - my initial thoughts where to get them cleaned up, rub them down and respray them whilst they where fitted to the bike - Would they be covered by the warranty? - Any other ideas?

Cheers - Kev.

2. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Doubt you would get warranty replacements mate. Best to replace em with nice , shiny stainless fittings?

3. sync24

sync24 Active Member

Yea - I am going to do the brake lines to the callipers ETC - it's the steel connections from the rubber hoses that are part of ABS system ETC that I want to fix up. Do you think these are replaceable with say, goodridge?

4. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I think you would have a warranty claim there. They shouldn't rust for just summer riding.

I wouldn't rub them down as any plating they have will be removed and they will rust even quicker.

As for the swing arm could you not just fit a sticker to cover it?

5. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Have a look at this thread:-
    http://1000rr.co.uk/maintenance/167.htm

IMO there is no way you'll get a waranty claim for the brake fittings. Every bike I've ever owned has had this same issue.

6. flatstickHRC

Really? I've never had it but I always swap to HEL lines anyway.

I can't believe bike manufacturers get away with bikes that go rusty after a year (or 6months if it's a triumph)

7. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Mine don't rust as such, they just discolour to white/grey.
    I'm talking about the black fittings. Maybe the OP means something else?

8. flatstickHRC

Yeah think that's right

To be honest I never left mine on long enough to get dirty never mind rusty! Lol

9. sync24

sync24 Active Member

Yea that's exactly what I meant - looking at the other post - the HEL line swap looks expensive for little gain - perhaps a simple visit with an airbrush will sort it.

10. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Yeah the ABS lines are more expensive than standard type.
    I've painted my rear brake line retaining clips with some high temp black paint and it works well. Never bothered with the actual brake fittings though as I'll replace them anyway.