Building a desktop

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

OK i know a little, I want a Desktop as mine is now 4 years old. Still good as it was a high end gaming PC from Mesh.

Looking about not much (or anything that much better at pc World ). So thinking can I build one myself?

I really don't want to replace my mouse, keyboard or screen but if I go windows 8 I may as well.

So other than buying a new case What else do I need than what I put below?

Motherboard,
    Graphics card
    CPU (onto Motherboard)
    Cooling for CPU? I have water cooling on mine at the mo I had to replace a year ago so can do that no probs
    Power supply
    Ram
    Cooling fans?
    neons ( I kid)
    I would like a dvd and Blu ray rewriter or just to blu ray?

Next thing, what are the best place to look at for getting bits? I know a few places I have used in the past but off hand forget their names

Also once you have put everything together, What do you have to do next, press power? and how do you install the operation system when it's a bare new Desktop?

Any help welcome. I would like to do this
    I mainly want this for Video editing, Photoshop I have now and want to get used to,
    Current PC spec is running windows 7 64bit
    Amd Phenom 2 x4 955 3.21Ghz
    8 gig Ram
    ATI Radeon HD4800

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Neons are vital. Life is worthless without them. I get all my bits from EBuyer. Don't know that they're better than anyone else but it is easy to shop there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I haven't bought a Desktop from a shop for years. All of mine have been custom made by a mate who builds PCs and all have functioned flawlessly. I'm afraid that I'm not too au fait with the process of actually building one though. I can try to fish out the specs of mine as it seems to work well if you want.

As far as I know DABS or ebuyer is the place to buy your bits and pieces.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

right 2 places to look . I just went onto A place called computer planet to look what I may want for a Desktop spec. Thoughts on below

Computer Case Cooler Master HAF 932
    CPU Intel i7 3770K - (4 x 3.5 GHZ) - Ivy Bridge
    CPU Heatsink Corsair Hydro Series H80 (Advanced Liquid Cooling)
    Memory Corsair 16GB PC3-12800 1600 MHz (4x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - 2 GB - (Gainward) - (PCI-E) (FREE ASSASSINS CREED III GAME)
    Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT - VGA/DVI/HDMI/WIFI
    Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 (PCI)
    Networking Wireless LAN 300Mbps (PCI)
    Power Supply Corsair 800W Gaming PSU - Low Noise
    CPU Compound Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
    Case Fans Fans Included With Case
    Hard Drive #1 3 TB Seagate (3000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB
    Hard Drive #2 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD SATA-III, Read 525MB/s, Write 500MB/s - Silent
    Optical Drive #1 Samsung 24x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader - Black - (SATA)
    Optical Drive #2 LG (BH10LS38) 10x Blu-Ray Re-Writer/Reader & 16x Dual Layer DVD/CD Re-Writer - Black (SATA)
    Card Reader Internal Card Reader 50-in-1

only down side was the £1,613.39 price tag but that is them building and not me

out of the list in my first post what may I need to build my own?

5. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Try Novatech.co.uk for some bare bone PC or pre built base units... check the deals page too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Seems like a bit of overkill for what you're wanting to do with it, if I'm honest. Mine cost me about £450 for the PC with no peripherals but that was with my mate re-using his old Core i5 motherboard and Cooler Master case and adding some new parts in for me.

7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Rich raises a good point. The beauty of a PC over certain soft fruit based products is that you can build it fit for purpose only. A bit like your Tiger Cat. You can build it just for video editing and save on the superfluous bits.

For example, I could live without assassins creed 3. It looks pretty but the series is a bit samey by now.

8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

agreed but i find my current desktop is very slow for converting video from say nero editing to processing it into a film once all the editing has been done. if that makes sense

9. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Exactamundo. I wanted mine to be able to run BF3 and it does that no problem.

From memory I'm running an Intel Core i5 CPU, 8 gig of RAM and an ASUS GTX 550Ti with a fairly beefy power supply. No neons on this one though, Ken. Had them on my last one but didn't feel the need this time.

If you've got liquid cooling on your CPU already, Remal, perhaps there are some bits you could salvage off your existing PC to build up a new one? As Ken said, that's the beauty of non Apple-based products.

10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Be aware of one thing though Matt. Video editing makes ZX81s out of the fastest desktop, especially HD rendering. Any pimping it up will help but as your films get more sophisticated you'll still be leaving it over night to render.

Oh and Rich, 'didn't see the need' means you're already dead.

11. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Ah yes but I switched from in-case neons to LED backlights to my monitor and a backlit keyboard so I'm not quite dead yet. As you can see in the man cave thread :D

[​IMG]

12. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmmm, LED's......not quite neons though are they...

13. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

No they're not but they do do a grand job of mitigating eye strain in a dark room ;)

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Is that a saitek keyboard?

15. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

No it's a Microsoft Sidewinder X4.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

back on topic ;)

Mainly I would want to add titles, a few basic effects and such like, music etc.. But would be HD, and also track day vids as well.

So Any tips on a spec would be ideal.

Would I need a dvd re wrtiter and Blu ray re writer? or just the blu ray all singing thing?

What main thing do i need for video editing to make it quick? CPU? motherboard?

17. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

What topic? c_suspicious.gif

:D

18. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Ok for what I want what are the bits worth spending the money on?

19. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry Matt, missed this. I'm a bit out of date with state of the art editing kit. Last time I played with one in anger it was a Tricaster about six years ago which means its good for a museum now. On Monday I'll speak to the guy that runs our production studio and get his spin on it but don't be surprised if he doesn't just say iMac. Don't get me wrong, I hate the things and wouldn't touch one with a barge pole for still image production but everything you need for video production comes built in and seeing as he's a more miserable bastard than me he'll probably just grunt "tell him to buy a f*+^€%g iMac and have done with it".

• Like Like x 1
  20. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

I used to build video edit systems for some big companies like Sky etc most were PC based systems with edit boards like Matrox digisuite or Perception DSP and so on, some of the boards were near 10K at the time, Zeepony is the man in the know he run/owns deadpixels.co.uk and from the time we chatted I get the picture most edit staions now use the internal CPU to render thanks to the new super fast CPUs mind you dont think they are good enough yet for the realtime stuff we built 10 years ago! Render speed is just a case of cores and ram! Render farms are out of this world some have hundreds of quad core CPUs and Pro series CPUs from intel that cost around a grand each. Think now render farms can be split accross the world thanks to hi-speed net connections.. So many packages out also to do whatever you want... Guess your talking non-lin video edit suites?