Bullet cam suction mounts - getting them to stick

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sossige, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Mrs Sossige treated me to one of these recently - DogCam Bullet HD high definition bullet camera along with a pair of their "limpet" suction mounts from their bike mounting kit.

I've also got a suction mount, similar to one of these Ball head with suction cup that I've had for some time. I'm hoping that this will offer lots of flexibility on mounting!

I can't get the ball head suction mount to stick for more than a few seconds. Pulling at it gently pulls it away from the mounting surface (in this case, my desk!) and it slides around also. I don't have much confidence in it remaining attached to my bike. :frusty:

Any tips on getting these suckers to stick properly? I'd like to give the camera a run tomorrow :dirol:

Cheers,

S

2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Duct tape the bugger on mate lol

3. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

I couldn't bring myself to do that!

4. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Lol .. it was just a joke.. did the cam not come with any kind of helmet strap fixing ? most lipstick style cams do

5. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

If you can't get them to stick to a flat shiny surface your never going to be able to trust them on anything so it just aswell you turf them out.
    Can you not get suction mount from something like a go pro to mount it on?

6. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

It does, but I'd like to fix it to the bike rather than my lid..

7. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Coming to that conclusion Andrew. The limpet suckers that came with the camera fix fine, this mount I already have doesn't hold the camera securely - I can't put any faith in it.

The mount I already have allows for more adjustment/rotation and also mounts the camera higher, so will give a better view past the handle bars and clocks. As you say, perhaps I need to buy something new.

8. stevebetts

stevebetts Well-Known Member

I have this version of Dogcam......MiniDVR 3 Bullet Cameras System
    I use the suction mounts and have no problem.
    I have been up to ???MPH and still it sticks (on a track obviously).

#8 stevebetts, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  9. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

I've since ordered another mount to replace the one I had "lying around" and this new mount is rock solid when fixed to a mount point.

Thanks all.

10. Moily

Moily Active Member

I bought a RAM suction mount for the Drift HD, which I was a bit concerned about the first couple of times I used it but it is rock solid at 'motorway speeds' and takes a hefty heave to pull it off without releasing the suction first.

HOWEVER, I did have trouble finding suitable mount points on the RR8 as the fairings do wobble quite a bit either at speed or over the slightest bump. That may be down to my suspensions settings/tyres/being 2-up/fully-loaded, etc, but I was disappointed with the first few positions. I tried all over the side fairings and ended up settling on the side of the nose cone (with the camera situated under the mirror) which although more stable still wasn't perfect.

Here's a vid from the cam on the side fairings, and you'll see what I mean about the wobble (and this was a smooth bit):

Approach to Moustiers (D8) on Vimeo

I've yet to upload later videos of the cam on the nosecone, but will post a trip report when I've done that. You may be ok with a bullet cam as it may be significantly lighter than the Drift, but something to be aware of and do a few trial runs before deciding on the best position for it.

#10 Moily, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011