C-ABS model rear hugger fitting issue

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by pdcava, Mar 30, 2011.

1. pdcava

pdcava Active Member

Hi, can anyone help!

I have just tried fitting a genuine honda carbon rear hugger that i removed from my previous 2008 model to my current 2010 c-abs bike. I understand the issues regarding regarding clearance / honda's fitment advice etc but i am willing to give it a go as the hugger is currently just sat in a box in my garage. I thought that this would be relatively straightforward to fit, however, i have hit an unexpected snag....

Where the hugger fits to the swingarm nearest the rear brake caliper, I have found that the c-abs model has a different bracket from the standard type to hold both the rear brake hose and the wire running to the abs sensor.

As a result, the hugger is not able to line up with this mounting hole as the hose / cable guide is in the way. Short of trimming a small section out of the hugger (which i don't fancy doing!), can anyone with a genuine hugger fitted to a c-abs model give me an idea how this problem has been addressed?

I will try to take a few pics to provide better details on the problem.

Many thanks,

Cav.

2. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Cav,

It definitely fits as others have it on. Not sure about the bracket though - maybe slight modification is needed. Hopefully someone on here who has the ABS with the hugger can help.

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I have the 2011 blade with Honda hugger. I fitted it without issues and only used a washer to lift the hugger over the wire. took me about 10 mins to fit and have been working a treat and no issues with clearance?

4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Active Member

Hey Remal -

What spacer did you use and where exactly did you put it - having the same issue on a 2009 Repsol with Repsol Honda Hugger - a picture would be awesome

I know the mount as we've deduced its the one closest to the rear brake - as I've basically forced it to fit and the right side comes down a fair bit more than the left. Not ideal at all.

Would I put the spacer between the original brake line bracket and the hugger bracket ? I'm guessing thats where, is there an official Honda spacer for this, or do I just use any old spacer, and if you have the sizes, etc.

Basically any help would be appreciated.

Also I split the left hand mount because I didn't put the plug in the chain guard and just screwed it down in with just the grommet in the hugger mount, thinking to get that welded or just maybe some epoxy.

#4 DangerMouse, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Where the bolt goes through the bracket to hold the hugger on where the mount for the ABS wire is I just fit a small washer under the hugger to lift it over the wire . fitted fine. was as simple ass that. I did not have to cut or mod the bracket that holds the ABS wire or brake line.

Hope that helps. I'll try and get some pics up if you need but i'm away till Sunday

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

ll the pics I have at the mo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But not very close

7. DangerMouse

hey

hey remal

thanks for the help, I've given it a bash with some help from my local mechanics in Park Royal, we got some spacers in there and kept on fiddling with it until it was level on both sides, and plastic welded the crack in the left hand fastner back together.

All done now !

Thanks for your pointers in the right direction though helped speed it along. I can't get it dead straight but I've got it about as level as I can so I'm happy.

Just got to remember not to take any passengers as the clearance between the hugger and the ABS control unit doesn't look too big lol.

8. pdcava

pdcava Active Member

Update

Hi everyone, sorry have'nt had a chance to reply until now. I've finally managed to fit the hugger using a spacer as suggested but still ended up making a small mod to get it to fit nicely.

The attached photographs hopefully shows the problem that i faced - the section of the hugger to the left of the bolt runs exactly where the bracket is situated for the abs wire.

IMG_5669.jpg IMG_5673.jpg

In the photo, the hugger has been placed loosely on the swingarm to illustrate the problem but could not be fitted in place as the bracket guide for the wire actually stops the hugger from lining up with the bolt hole in the swingarm. Although a reasonable size spacer allows the hugger to run over the cable itself, it would have taken a massive spacer (and a longer bolt as a result) to get the hugger to avoid both the cable and bracket guide.

As a result, with a bit of encourangement from my father who is a retired aircraft engineer i took the (slightly nervous) step of filing a small half circle shape out of the carbon fibre in order for the hugger to clear the bracket with only a smallish spacer being used to clear the cable.

Fortunately, it worked out perfectly and is now on the bike with a fit almost as good as it was on the 08 model it came off.

IMG_5731.jpg

9. DangerMouse

hey

I see your hugger has a completely different mount to mine

is that a Honda hugger or aftermarket part ?

The Honda huggers or mine at least, had a bracket that attached to that mount and then bolted with two nuts to the side of the hugger, will take some pics for you !

10. pdcava

pdcava Active Member

It's a genuine honda carbon hugger that i had fitted to my previous 08 model when it was new. I still had the fitting instructions for it and these have no mention of any additional brackets. I've fitted it exactly as it was on the 08 bike. I'm wondering if the current part is slightly different? Be good to see some pics!

11. pdcava

pdcava Active Member

I think i can see what you mean about the fitting by looking at Remal's pics - it looks like the plastic hugger has a different fitting altogether on that side of the swingarm.

12. DangerMouse

I'll get some up tomorrow in the daylight, the mounting on that site is completely different that's for sure . . .